Guides > Selecting and Viewing Items > Newspapers
- Select an item from your search results list by clicking either its title or thumbnail image.
- A medium-sized image is presented with a brief record.
- To view the newspaper, click on the image or select "Read this Newspaper" from the red navigation bar.
- Your search terms are highlighted in yellow on the newspaper image, but the highlighting can be removed by clicking "Remove Highlighting" on the right-hand side of the screen.
- To dim the screen around the newspaper, click on the "Lower Lights" command just above the newspaper. To turn the "lights" back on, click anywhere in the dimmed area.
- To choose a page (or sequence), use the drop-down list located above the newspaper.
- To rotate the newspaper page, use the arrows just above it.
- To view the next or previous newspaper page, use the right and left arrows located just above the newspaper, or simply click on the right- or left-hand side of the displayed newspaper page.
- To find your original search terms throughout the text, click on "Page Hits . . ." in the red navigation bar. When the page hits display opens, click on a thumbnail image or page/sequence number to view that page.
- To search additional terms within the newspaper's full text, add a keyword(s) to the search box on the right-hand side of the screen and click "Search." The new page hits will be displayed.
- To view thumbnail images of all the newspaper's pages (a quick way to locate photographs, maps, and charts in the newspaper) click "All Pages" on the right-hand side of the screen. When the thumbnails appear, click on the one you want to see. The page will open in the "Read this Newspaper" view.
- Most newspapers in the Portal can be "zoomed" to read the newspaper with larger or smaller print.
- Click on "Zoom (Full Page)" above the newspaper image or on the right-hand side of the screen.
- When the page opens, use the zoom tool on the left-hand side of the screen to enlarge or reduce the view.
- Center the area you want to read by grabbing and dragging the newspaper image.
- Move to other pages by using the drop-down list or the gray left and right arrow buttons located near the zoom tool.
Return to the regular (un-zoomed) display by clicking "Normal Display" on the left-hand side of the screen.
If a newspaper cannot be "zoomed, you still have the option of viewing a larger or smaller version by clicking on "All Image Sizes" on the right-hand side of the page. When the "All Image Sizes" screen opens, click on the size (square, thumbnail, small, medium, large, extra large) you want to view. Move around the newspaper page by using your browser's vertical and horizontal scrolling controls or the "home,"end," "page up," and "page down" keys on your keyboard.