Guides > Finding Information in the Portal > Search Overview
We offer two search methods:
Basic Search provides a quick, "no-fuss" way to search by keywords or phrases, but you can also use it to create more sophisticated searches by combining terms, targeting your search, and/or limiting your search to particular types of items.
Advanced Search provides easy-to-use fields that allow you to specify keywords and phrases and combine them without the need to remember special symbols or punctuation. Advanced Search also provides a number of options for limiting your search.
When to Use Basic Search
- for maximum flexibility
- to target your search to item records (metadata)
- to target your search to specific fields in item records
When to Use Advanced Search
- for easy-to-use prompted fields
- to limit your search by partner
- to limit your search by collection
- to limit your search by language
How to Find the Search Screens
A Basic Search box appears near the top of our home page. You can also navigate to either the Basic Search screen or the Advanced Search screen by clicking "Search" in the upper right corner of any page.
Where to Find Search Help
How to Search Within Results
The Portal also allows you to search within the results list from either searching or exploring.
To search within a search results list:
- Conduct a basic or advanced search.
- When your results list appears, you will see at the top a basic search box containing your search terms.
- Add, combine, or focus additional search terms. (See the Basic Search guide for instructions on entering keywords, phrases and dates.)
- Click "submit." Your revised search results list will appear.
To search within an "explore" list:
- Using the Explore feature, select an area of interest. (See the Explore guide for instructions on exploring.)
- When your results list appears, you will see at the top a basic search box. Below that, you will see a notation: You limited your search to: [the Explore selection you chose].
- Leave the search limit in place, and then, in the basic search box, enter, combine, or focus search terms. (See the Basic Search guide for instructions on entering keywords and phrases.)
- Click "submit." Your search results list will appear.
To filter a search results or "explore" list:
- Conduct a basic or advanced search, or use Explore to select an area of interest.
- When your results list appears, you will see a list of categories on the left-hand side of the page. The available categories will vary according to the contents of your results list.
- Click on a facet within a category. Your revised results list will appear.
- To narrow your results further, click on another facet. Your further revised results list will appear.
- Continue selecting facets until you are satisfied with your results.
- Each facet you select appears in a box located below the basic search box and labeled "You limited your search to:" From this box, you can deselect any facet by clicking "Remove."
- Any additional searches you conduct using the basic search box on your results page will be based on the facets shown in the "You limited your search to:" box. So, to start a completely new search, you will need to deselect all the facets on your results page. Alternately, you can start a new search by clicking "Search" in the upper right corner of the page.