The WPA Dallas Guide and History Page: 394
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
lated bodies, the clothing torn from them by morbid souvenir hunters, were
brought back to Dallas for burial and were the occasion of a gruesome Roman holi-
day; 20,000 persons crowded the street in front of the undertaking establishment
where Bonnie's body lay in state in a silver casket, clad in a blue silk negligee, with
marcelled hair and polished fingernails. Crowds of the curious also fought to get to
the gravesides when Bonnie and Clyde were buried, and aviators swooped down
in planes dropping flowers on the biers. They were not buried together as they
wished. Bonnie was interred in Fishtrap Cemetery, and Clyde in the neighboring
Western Heights Cemetery beside his brother Buck, who died of wounds received
while fleeing south from Iowa with Bonnie and Clyde in July, 1933.
In contrast with the broken stone slabs, tin signs, old bottles, crockery, fruit
jars, and other improvised markers that dot this neglected resting place of the
poor, Bonnie's grave is marked with a low, slanting headstone bearing a large
bright plate of chromium steel on which is inscribed the epitaph:
Oct. 1, 1910-May 23, 1934
As the flowers are all made sweeter by the sunshine and the dew, so this old world is made
brighter by folks like you.
This marker was a tribute from a local monument maker.
39. The SITE OF LA REUNION, north of the Fort Worth Cut-off Road, at West-
moreland Road, on the northwestern edge of Oak Cliff, is marked by the moulder-
ing ruins of a single house. Along with the untended and largely unmarked graves
in Fishtrap Cemetery (see POINTS OF INTEREST, Fishtrap Cemetery), these ruins
are all that remain of the ill-considered French utopian colony that in the early
days of Dallas did so much to enrich the struggling frontier village with Old World
talent, culture, and craftsmanship. Until comparatively recent years, this house, a
small but substantial one-story structure of limestone in French cottage style, was
in a fair state of preservation with roof, walls, and floor still intact, but vandalism,
added to the ravages of time and weather, has reduced it to a heap of crumbling
stones, mortar, and rubbish on the border of a shallow ravine some little distance
back from the road. Its restoration as an historical landmark has been urged but no
practical steps have been undertaken, and only the foundations and a fragment of
two adjoining walls are still standing.
The house was built in 1859 for the widow of Alphonse Delord shortly after the
colony had ceased to function as a Fourierist phalange, or self-contained, coopera-
tive community, as its founders had intended. Madame Delord had invested heavily
in the short-lived La Reunion Company, and when it dissolved, received forty acres
of land as her share of the communal property. On this tract Pierre, Joseph, and
Francois Girard, three brothers who had come to Texas with their father in 1856
and had taken up the occupation of architects and builders, constructed a house
for her. She resided here until the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861 when she
returned to France with her children.
The commissary and other main buildings of the colony constructed in 1855 and
1856 lay a considerable distance to the north of the Delord house, close to the
present Eagle Ford Road. They were abandoned and rapidly fell into ruins after the
dispersion of the colonists, and no trace of them remains today, the limestone bluff
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Writers' Program of the Work Projects Administration in the City of Dallas. The WPA Dallas Guide and History, book, 1992; Dallas, Texas. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc28336/m1/418/: accessed July 5, 2020), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting UNT Press.