[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion]

Description

Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. This photo was taken from the corner of south Magnolia and west Bowers streets.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Creation Information

Creator: Unknown. [1878..1955].

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2006 and was provided by Palestine Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 156 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Creator

  • We've been unable to identify the creator(s) of this photograph.

Rights Holders

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Palestine Public Library

The Palestine Public Library materials include local history photographs selected for the grant Rescuing Texas History through the digitization of at-Risk photographs and maps, as well as photos taken during a Historic Resources Study in 1991.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the north and east sides of the "Bowers Mansion" located at 301 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story house that has Victorian Italiante-style architectural elements (including a small cupola with bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows), and a two-tiered porch with Queen Anne-style turned- and jigsawn- wood trim. This photo was taken from the corner of south Magnolia and west Bowers streets.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Notes

This house, more commonly known nowadays as the Bowers Mansion, is one of the most outstanding domestic buildings in Palestine. The oldest parts of the house date back to 1878 and display Victorian Italianate elements. The small cupola with its bracketed eaves and narrow, paired windows is indicative of the style. In 1894 major modifications were completed, giving the house a more Queen Anne style architectural character. The 2-tiered porch with its turned- and jigsawn- wood trim are noteworthy features. Since the 1894 renovations, the house has remained virtually unaltered and retains its integrity to a remarkable degree. Palestine merchant and Prussian-native Henry Ash and his wife Amelia Emilie Ash built this house in 1878 and resided here until 1884, when the property was purchased by Andrew L. and Nellie O’Connell Bowers. Around 1886 the Bowers hired local architect-builder Walter W. Wainwright to add the cupola, gazebo, and circular galleries; later, in 1897, St. Louis architect Charles Dunbar designed more renovations, including the addition of an ornate staircase with stained glass. A North Carolina native, Andrew L. Bowers (1852-1926) was an official of the I&GN Railroad, president of the Palestine Salt & Coal Company, and president of several banks, including the Palestine Bank. He served as mayor of Palestine for four terms (over 20 years), overseeing the paving of streets and the erection of the city’s first public school buildings, fire station, and city hall. The Bowers family owned the property for 72 years, until 1955. The house was restored in 1970 by Carl Avera but has since been sold. It now operates as a bed and breakfast.

Subjects

Keywords

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Language

Item Type

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2006

Rescuing Texas History through the Digitization of At-risk Photographs and Maps, 2006, presents local history materials from eleven partners: the Clay County Historical Society, Genevieve Miller Public Library, the Palestine Public Library, the Laredo Public Library, the Archives of the Big Bend at Sul Ross State University, the Moore Memorial Public Library, UT Pan-American, the Clark Hotel Museum, the Austin Public Library, and Concordia University at Austin. Funding is provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • [1878..1955]

Covered Time Period

Start & End Dates

  • 1878 - 1955

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • March 2, 2006, 12:34 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • March 20, 2014, 5:28 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 156

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.760084, -95.632542

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

[301 S. Magnolia - Bowers Mansion], photograph, [1878..1955]; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10058/: accessed September 25, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.