The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 1, July 1897 - April, 1898 Page: 13
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
History of Texas Geography.
just as France had ceded it to Spain, and in 1803 France sold it to
the United States, with no specification as to the western boundary,
thus devolving the responsibility of a final adjustment upon the
UJnited States and Spain.
After thus quieting all attempts at French invasion on the east,
Spain realized the necessity of extending actual dominion over all
the territory claimed by her, and especially over that unoccupied
part of her territory exposed to the Gulf of Mexico. There was a
scope of country north of the Panuco river, bounded by the prov-
inces of Nuevo Leon on the west, Coahuila on the north and north-
west, and Texas on the northeast, which had remained in posses-
sion of the native tribes of Indians ever since the conquest. The
measures adopted for bringing that region under the jurisdiction of
Spain finally culminated in the establishment of the province of
Nuevo Santander, now the State of Tamaulipas, and in definitely
fixing the western boundary of Texas.
No definite boundaries had been fixed to any of the provinces
named contiguous to this vast country, for the reason that their
colonial development had not required it, but the area extending
100 leagues north and 50 leagues west, extending from the Panuco
river to the Rio Grande, was regarded generally as the limits of the
new territory to be brought under the civil jurisdiction of Spain;
in other words, the Rio Grande was regarded as the southwestern
limit of the province of Texas, when the work of subjugating and
civilizing this area was entrusted to Escandon.
In 1746 he subjugated most of the savage tribes inhabiting this
region, and in 1748 was entrusted to complete the work and bring
the region under the complete dominion of Spain. He proceeded
with his forces as far east as the Rio Grande, and established mis-
sions and settlements. The Governor of Texas at that time was
making Adaes his capital, under orders from the viceroy, in order
that he might watch the movements of the French, and be in a po-
sition to guard the .eastern boundary of the province against en-
croachment. Escandon dispatched a part of his forces in the early
part of 1749 across the Rio Grande, and they proceeded as far east
as the Rio Guadalupe, where they found the old mission, La Bahia
-del Espiritu Santo, virtually abandoned, and took charge of it. In
going thus far, they exceeded the limit of the territory originally
contemplated in the commission to Escandon-instead of stopping
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 1, July 1897 - April, 1898, periodical, 1897/1898; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101009/m1/23/: accessed June 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.