The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 1, July 1897 - April, 1898 Page: 14
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
14 Texas Historical Association Quarterly.
when he had traversed the distance of 100 leagues, his forces went
185 leagues. When this was ascertained, he was ordered by the so-
licitor general of New Spain to move back to the San Antonio river.
The doors, bells, and other movable appurtenances to the mission
were taken down and carried to Santa Doretea (now Goliad), and
the mission and presidio .established there, and the San Antonio
river was for a time regarded by the authorities of Nuevo Santan-
der as the eastern boundary of that province.
Affairs were in this shape when the Governor of Texas resumed
his residence at San Antonio, soon after the cession of Louisiana to
Spain, and after all causes for French encroachment on the east
had been removed. In the interim between 1750 and 1764, the au-
thorities of Nuevo Santander issued titles to land as far east as the
San Antonio river, and exercised jurisdiction in other ways. This
brought about a conflict between the respective provinces. The ter-
ritory of Coahuila and Nuevo Leon had also been encroached upon
by the authorities of Nuevo Santander. To settle disputes as to
the extent of the boundaries of Santander, and determine its juris-
diction over such territory as was contiguous to these provinces,
and to protect the vested rights acquired within the disputed boun-
daries, the complaints of the Governors were laid before the proper
authorities at Mexico City and Madrid. All disputed matters were
adjusted by decrees, which were formulated into a royal cedula. To
this cedula was attached a map designating the boundaries. It
was filed among the archives in 1805, and photographic copies of
this map have been used in judicial proceedings in the courts of
Texas affecting titles to lands situated in the disputed territory. By
this map, the western boundary of Texas began at the mouth of the
Rio Nueces, thence up that river to its junction with Moros creek,
thence in a northeasterly direction to near the Garza crossing of
the Medina river, thence up that river to its source, thence in a di-
rect line to the source of the San Saba river; thence northwesterly
to the intersection of the 103d meridian of west longitude and the
32d parallel of north latitude, thence northeasterly to the intersec-
tion of Red river by the 100th meridian, thence down said river.
The first call from the source of the Medina is northeasterly, but
the source of the San Saba is the point aimed at. A previous map
of H-Tmboldt, compiled from an official map in use at Mexico, and
used in the debate over the compromise measures pending before
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 1, July 1897 - April, 1898, periodical, 1897/1898; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101009/m1/24/: accessed April 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.