The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 1, July 1897 - April, 1898 Page: 284
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
284 Texas Historical Association Quarterly.
Still, in 1875 the severe storm revealed evidences of the location
of the old fort, for, according to Mr. A. G. Follett, Sr., it washed
up a number of small Mexican coins of the value of twenty-five
cents and small copper cannon balls on its site. The same author-
ity, who settled at Velasco in 1838, agrees that Mrs. Shannon's
house now marks the spot where once stood the old fort. Her
house was built in 1887, in consequence of the one previously oc-
cupied by her having been seriously damaged by the storm of
1886. It is a plain wooden structure, one story high, containing
about four or five rooms, with a neat flower garden in front.
There are remains of forts built by the Confederate State's gov-
ernment, in the neighborhood of Quintana and Velasco, whose
earthworks rise to a considerable height above the surrounding
level. The one on the west bank of the Brazos river, about a mile
above Quintana, commands a long stretch of water; near the new
town of Velasco are the remains of another, and still another lies
on the east side of the river, at the drawbridge across the canal,
which connects the Brazos river with West Galveston Bay. The
existence of these remains of a former government in the same
locality with the old Mexican fort is liable to cause confusion in the
minds of future searchers after true historic localities.
The consensus of opinion of those who have known the country
since its earliest settlement agrees in the location of the fort on
the site indicated.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 1, July 1897 - April, 1898, periodical, 1897/1898; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101009/m1/310/: accessed September 19, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.