The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 1, July 1897 - April, 1898 Page: 76
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
76 Texas Historical Association Quarterly.
At the request of the Executive Council, the President of the
State University has set aside an alcove in the rew library for the
use of the Association. This alcove will 1 e under the control of
Dr. Garrison, librarian of the Association, and will be arranged
with special regard to the convenience of readers and the display
of such documents, etc., in the possession of the Association, as may
be interesting to the public.
The Historical Association is in receipt of a circular announc-
ing that The A lcalde, a paper hitherto published at the State
University, will be enlarged, and its character changed to that of
a general weekly newspaper for Texas. It will be non-partisan.
The first number will appear in November. L. E. Hill and John 0.
Phillips, both of Austin, are the editors. The Executive Council
of the Association has accepted an offer from these gentlemen of
one page per week, to be under the control of the Association, and
devoted to its affairs.
Judge Z. T. Fulmore has now in press a comprehensive chart,
showing, in five maps, the history of Texas geography, together
with a digest of the facts constituting the history of the boundaries
of Texas. The chart will also contain a clever diagram showing the
evolution of the counties of Texas from the original municipalities,
the origin of names, date of creation, etc.; a list of Texas officials
extending back into the period of Spanish rule; and much statis-
tical information as to the material progress of Texas from the
earliest times to the present.
Among other valuable gifts that have been made to the Associ-
ation are two scrap-books full of important historical matter, one
from Mrs. Julia Lee Sinks of Giddings, the other the bequest of
Mrs. M. A. C. Wilson, lately deceased, the widow of Col. William F.
Wilson. The first contains Mrs. Sinks' own narrative of the recov-
ery of the bones of the decimated Mier prisoners and Dawson men,
and their burial at La Grange in 1848. Mrs. Sinks assisted at the
burial herself. The collection includes copies of letters from Aus-
tin, Rusk, Lamar, and other prominent men of the Republic.
William G. Scarff, publisher, Dallas, has in press two works
whose appearance is looked forward to with most hopeful antici-
pation by those interested in Texas history. Both are edited by
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 1, July 1897 - April, 1898, periodical, 1897/1898; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101009/m1/89/: accessed July 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.