The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 2, July 1898 - April, 1899 Page: 169
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
La Bahia del Estiritu Santo.
until it was declared to be a town with 'the name of Goliad, by act of
the congress of Coahuila ,and Texas, passed February 4, 1829.1
'The last 'and most noted massacre at la Bahia del Espiritu Santo
was that of Fannin's command in 1836, the brutalities and horrors
of which have been portrayed in the works of modern writers of
After the independence of Texas, the settlements at Goliad were
made ,on the north side ,of the river 'and soon became the principal
town; and now the old building of the mission of la Bahfa del Espir-
itu Santo stands there on the south bank of the San Antonio river,
where the passing traveler may see it without conjecturing the origin
of its name or its connection with the history of Texas, coming
down from 1519, when Pineda first described and named the bay
into which the waters of the Guadalupe and San Antonio rivers
1 Decree No. 73, Laws and Decrees of Coahuila and Texas, p. 112.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 2, July 1898 - April, 1899, periodical, 1898/1899; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101011/m1/173/: accessed September 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.