The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 3, July 1899 - April, 1900 Page: 68
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas Historical Association Quarterly.
can be called, worthy the consideration of the historian. The re-
sult of some researches made in the old records of the Mission and
those of the Company of San Carlos there stationed will throw
additional light on the subject.
The mission of San Francisco Solano, known later as the "Mis-
sion del Alamo," was founded, so state the records,2 on the Rio
Grande in the year 1703. In 1712 it was transferred to a place
called San Ildephonso holding that invocation. Thence it was
retransferred in 1713 to the Rio Grande and called San Jose. In
the year 1718 on the first day of May "this mission on account of
the scarcity of water at the pueblo of San Joseph, was transferred
to San Antonio de Valero by order of his excellency the Marquis
of Valero, Vice-Roy of New Spain, the mission being under the
direction of Fray Antonio de San Buenaventura y Olivarez, and
the officer Don Martin de Alarcon, Governor of these provinces of
the Kingdom of the New Philippines."
Shea states that "the Mission of San Antonio was founded on
the San Pedro, but was subsequently transferred to the Alamo,
and its name has prevailed over that of the city subsequently
By order of the Rt. Rev. Andres de Llanos y Valdes, the Bishop
of the Diocese, given on the 20th of January, 1793, the Pueblo of
San Antonio de Valero was aggregated to the Parish of San Fer-
nando and Presidio of San Antonio de Bexar. The records of the
Mission were transferred to the Parish priest, Fr. Th. Francesco
Lopez on the 22d of the same month; and the Mission of San
Antonio de Valero had ceased to exist.
The records waver in the appellations given to the Mission. On
the 10th of March, 1710, Fray Juan Joseph de Soto calls it "esta
mission de la advocacion de San Francisco Solano;" May 12th,
1712, "esta mission de la advocacion del Sr. Sn. Joseph;" but on
the 20th of June, 1712, de Soto again calls it Sn. Francisco Solano.
On February 7, 1713, he says: "Yo el Fr. Joseph de Soto ministro
actual de esta mission del Sr. S. Joseph 6 Yglesia del S. S. Fran-
cisco Solano." However, in 1718 Fr. Miguel Nufiez calls it by the
old appellation "esta Mission de San Francisco Solano Sita en San
Antto de Valero." At last on the 5th of July of the same year we
2Tn the "Archives of the Diocese (Catholic) of San Antonio."
'SHEA, Hist. Oath. Ch. in U. S., I. 499.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 3, July 1899 - April, 1900, periodical, 1900; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101015/m1/76/: accessed December 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.