The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 3, July 1899 - April, 1900 Page: 69
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Fragments.
find it "Mission de San Antonio de Valero," a name it retained as
long as the mission existed; not once is it called "Alamo" in the
From the registers4 of the "Segunda Compania de Sn. Carlos de
Parras" we glean the following facts: the first entry is on the 6th
of February, 1788. It took place in the "Sta. Yglesia, Parroquial
del Pueblo del Sr. Sn. Joseph y Santiago del Pueblo del Alamo,"
showing that the appellation Alamo pertained to the Company
from its inception many years before it was located in San Anto-
nio. Beginning with the 17th of June, 1793, the additional title
de Parras is added. On the 21st of March, 1797, we read "en esta
Sta. Yglesia Parroquial Pueblo del Sr. Sn. Josef y Santiago al
Alamo Ramo perteneciente al Pueblo de Sta. Maria de las Parras."
In January, 1798, the company is stated as being "en el Precidio
Reformado del Sr. Sn. Miguel de Serro Gordo Ramo perteneciente
al Re. de Nra. Sra. de las Mercedes del Oro." During the same
year a baptism took place (No. 105) at Cafiala Seca; then the com-
pany seems to have taken up its station at Chihuahua. The loca-
tion is termed "Parroquia Castrense a Sn. Carlos; Villa Sn. Ger6n-
imo;" "la Villa de San Ger6nimo Ayuda de Parroquia de la Villa
Chihuahua." This appellation is retained until February, 1805.
On the 23d of September of that year baptisms are performed
"en la Yglesia Parroquial de San Fernando Real Precidio de San
Antonio de Bejar." It seems the Sacrament of baptism was ad-
ministered only in the church of San Fernando, the parish church
of the town; never in the old Mission church.
The company, however, was located "en la Mission de Balero,
jurisdiccion de Sn. Antonio de Bexar." The Record closes in 1825.
Since the company migrated from place to place it was natural
that its secondary appellation should change with its location. It
is equally evident that the company took its first name, as given in
the entry of June 17th, 1793, from the town of Alamos5 de Parras
near the Lade de Parras in the southern part of the State of Coa-
EDMOND J. P. SCHMITT.
"Libro en que se asient, los Baptismos en la Segunda Compaffia Volante
de Sn. Carlos de Parras (cita en la Pueblo del Alamo) siendo Capellan de
ella el Br. Dn. Manuel Saenz dp Juan Gorena y Comienza en primero de
Marzo de 1788.
"See note 4.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 3, July 1899 - April, 1900, periodical, 1900; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101015/m1/77/: accessed January 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.