The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 4, July 1900 - April, 1901 Page: 55
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
A Retrospect of San Antonio.
residence. It fronted east on Main Plaza, standing ,on the site now
covered by the ISouthern Hotel.
The "Quinta," an old rock house used by General Arredondo in
1813 as a military prison for women, fronted west on Quinta street,
adjoining, perhaps, part of the old Bowen residence."
In the early days of the city, 'San Antonio river and San Pedro
creek ran full and clear. The average width of the river was sixty
feet, and that .of the creek fifteen, and both 'were bordered with Tula
grass stretching out here and there into great fields. As late as
thirty years ago the Mill Bridge was a most picturesque locality.
The river ford was .full two hundred feet wide, with a sweep of
crystal 'water from one to three feet deep, fed by a spring at Carcel,
or 'Market street. 'Back of the old Losoya homestead on Losoya
street, about fifty yards above Crockett, was another large spring
and rivulet, and just north of the Commerce street bridge from
under a huge boulder of limestone came a bold flow of pure water.
Alas, what was is now no more; but the day brave Ben Milam and
his followers crossed the "'Ford of los Tejas," on their way to the
"Molino Blanco," it was a river well worthy of name and fame.
Locate this ford at the bridge, near the Lone Star Brewery, and the
old mill' a few hundred yards below on the west bank.
Of the Garza house, the south front and west corner are intact.
Worthy of notice are the small window over the door, and the deep
well. This place became the property of de la Garza in '1734. Mr.
Leonardo Garza has the deed, which is dated 1771. From the
signatures and transfers it seems clear that the house was built
between 1735 and 1740.
'The Navarro building, on the northeast corner of 'Commerce and
Flores Streets, was, torn down about two weeks, ago. This, building
had walls three and a half feet thick, and was built of adobe,4 wi h
red cedar rafters. On one of the rafters the date 1728 was burned
into the wood. This property was transferred from Veramendi to
Navarro in 1838, according to the records.
3This location agrees with the Yoakum map.
'~dobe is really sun-dried brick, but common use 'applies the term to all
the old rodk buildings in the city, which are built of all sorts and sizes
of rock and pebbles cemented together.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 4, July 1900 - April, 1901, periodical, 1901; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101018/m1/61/: accessed August 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.