The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 5, July 1901 - April, 1902 Page: 120
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
120 Texas Historical Association Quarterly.
member of the profession knew personally, and was known person-
ally by, nearly every man in his circuit of practice. There was
no great crowd of lawyers, in those early days, and with the settling
of land titles and other matters there was plenty for all to do.
In 1846 the first Legislature after annexation divided the State
into eight judicial districts. The counties of Milam, Burleson,
Washington, Brazos, Robertson, Limestone, Navarro, Freestone, and
Leon constituted the Eighth District, of which R. E. B. Baylor was
judge. In 1852 or 1853 the Legislature made a new district called
the Thirteenth, including all of the counties of the old Eighth
District north and east of the Brazos river, as well as the new
counties of Falls and Hill. Later another county, Madison, was
formed out of the territory of Leon, Walker, and Grimes and added
to the Thirteenth District. Henry J. Jewett was the first judge of
this district. The writer having arrived in Leon county in 1851,
had an opportunity of becoming acquainted with the judges of
these two districts, and many of the members of the bar who resided
in them, or being non-residents practiced there. Of the resident
lawyers of the Eighth and Thirteenth Districts he remembers
the following, who were in practice in the early fifties: Asa
M. Willie, of Washington county; H. J. Jewett, R. S. Gould, John
W. Durant, T. W. Blake, Thos. V. Mortimer, James Gregg, A. H.
Weir, William Holman, and Aaron Kitchel, of Leon county; F. L.
Barziza, of Robertson county; Charley Stewart, Thomas Harrison,
and T. P. Aycock, of Falls county; D. M. Prendergast and Joseph
Lynn, of Limestone county; R. Q. Mills, C. M. Winkler, William
Craft, and A. Beaton, of Navarro county; John Gregg, W. L.
Moody, James Walker, and John Whitt, of Freestone county. Of
non-resident and visiting lawyers he remembers the following:
Henderson Yoakum, W. A. Leigh, A. M. Branch, and A. P.
Wiley, of Walker county; John H. Reagan, Reuben Reeves, and A.
T. Rainey, of Anderson county; W. B. Ochiltree, of Nacogdoches
county; and Richard Coke, of McLennan county.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 5, July 1901 - April, 1902, periodical, 1902; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101021/m1/126/: accessed September 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.