The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 5, July 1901 - April, 1902 Page: 165
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Fragmen2ts.
THE BEGINNINGS OF HOPKINS COUNTY.-Late in December,
1842, William Hargrave and his brother, Harvey Hargrave, moved
into what is now Hopkins county from Red River county. There
were in the two families eighteen persons, five of whom are now
living. At that time there was only one other family living in Hop-
kins county, that of Mr. John Bivin, whose home was four miles
east of Sulphur Bluff. The first week in January, 1848, "Uncle
Billy" Barker settled south of White Oak, six miles west of Sulphur
Springs. In 1843, Capt. E. M. Hopkins moved into the settlement
from Red River county, and his widow, "Aunt Rebecca," still lives
in Hopkins county.
The first mill in the county, a grist and saw mill combined, was
a water mill built by Robert Hargrave upon the old bluff on South
Sulphur in 1844.
The first burial in the county was on the 26th day of August,
1843. The first wedding was on the 16th day of October, 1843.
The license was procured at Clarksville, Red River county, fifty
miles away, and the minister rode from Clarksville on horseback
to perform the ceremony. The first barbecue was on the 4th of
July, 1845, near the water mill on South Sulphur. The first elec-
tion was held on the first Monday in September, 1844, at the same
place, it being a part of Lamar county at that time. There is only
one man living now who voted at this election. It is "Uncle Perry"
Hargrave, and he is eighty years old. His children and grandchil-
dren today are drinking water out of the first cistern that was dug
in Hopkins county. This cistern, which dates from 1842, is sit-
uated in the northeast portion of Hopkins county, sixteen miles
from the county seat, Sulphur Springs.
MRS. STELLA PUTMAN DINSMORE.
Sulphur Springs, Texas.
THE NUMBER OF "DECIMATED MIER PRISONER."-Mrs. Adele
B. Looscan, historian of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, is
entitled to our gratitude for her note (QUARTERLY, Vo01. . No. 1)
on the "Letter from a Mier Prisoner to His Mother"; but the num-
ber of those who were subjected to the "death lottery," as stated on
page 67, is erroneous,-probably a misprint.1 Their number was
not one hundred and seventeen, but one hundred and sixty-five;
"It seems to have been such.-EDITOR QUARTERLY.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 5, July 1901 - April, 1902, periodical, 1902; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101021/m1/171/: accessed October 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.