The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 5, July 1901 - April, 1902 Page: 54
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
54 Texas Historical Association Quarterly.
onic state, and for this reason the institution had not grown as
rapidly, nor fulfilled its mission as quickly as its wise and unselfish
projectors had hoped. When, therefore, Dr. Burlson assumed
control, he found the attendance small, the buildings inadequate
and unsuitable, only a trifle on hand in the way of a reliable endow-
ment fund, insufficient apparatus, and, worst of all, the friends of
the school discouraged and without heart. Even the learning,
wisdom and enthusiasm which the recently elected president
brought with him to the position did not reinspire the trustees and
friends of the school. They argued that while he was the very
best man for the position whose services were available, still he
was only 28 years old, and with no experience as a college presi-
dent. The discouragement and demoralization of the board, how-
ever, did not discourage nor demoralize this young president. He
took the field and advertised the school liberally through the chan-
nels at that time available, as a result of which, when the fall ses-
sion of 1851 opened, the attendance was largely increased. With
each succeeding year he got a better grasp of the situation, and a
clearer conception of the work. The friends took courage and came
manfully to his support, new buildings were erected, the endow-
ment fund was increased from one to twenty thousand dollars, the
apparatus was added to, and a library was started. Dr. Burleson
developed such administrative ability and such qualities as a leader
that in 1855, four years after he took charge, the school was beyond
the experimental stage, was regarded as one of the fixed institu-
tions of the country, and had a reputation coextensive with the
State. He worked on until Baylor University was known in every
State in the Union, and catalogued by the London Times in 1860
as one of the prominent institutoins of learning in America.
Dr. Burleson continued in the presidency of the school at Inde-
pendence until 1861, when, owing to some irreconcilable differences
between himself and faculty and the board of trustees, he tendered
In 1855 Trinity River Association decided to establish an asso-
ciational school. In 1856 it was located at Waco, and christened
Trinity River High Male School. A female department was pro-
vided for and located at Hillsboro, but was never opened. Febru-
ary 2d, 1860, the high school at Waco was chartered by the State,
and rechristened Waco Classical School. In June, 1861, Dr. Bur-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 5, July 1901 - April, 1902, periodical, 1902; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101021/m1/60/: accessed July 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.