The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 6, July 1902 - April, 1903 Page: 23
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Louis ,ucherEau de Saint-Denis.
of their souls, and to bring them to a knowledge of the Holy Law
and to a recognition of the authority of King Felipe V, who, by
the hands of the Duque de Linares, viceroy of New Spain, had
sent them these gifts as a token of his love. He instructed them,
also, for the good government of their people, to select from their
number one who should be their captain general. The Indians
thereupon withdrew to confer together, and in a short time sent
forward the youngest of their great chiefs, as the one whose rule
they could the most easily endure. To him were given the baston
and Captain Ramon's own jacket as insignia of his rank and office.
When these courtesies and ceremonies were finished, the journey
was resumed. On June 30th they came to the spot where the first
mission of San Francisco de los Tejas had been established by
Father Manzanet in 1690. Captain Ramon, the friars, and some
of the Indian chiefs set out to find a site for the new mission.
They selected a spot four leagues farther inland than the original
mission, because it was the choice of the Indians themselves. On
the 3rd of July the new mission of San Francisco was established
upon the site selected, in the village of the Nacoches, the chief of
three tribes for whom this mission was to be the religious center.
Father Hidalgo, the only representative of the friars, who more
than twenty-five years before had worked among the Tejas, was
placed in charge of the mission. Other missions were soon after-
ward established. The second, Purisima Concepci6n, was placed
at the pueblo of the Asinais, nine leagues northeast from the first;
and the third, Nuestra Sefiora de Guadalupe, was nine leagues
southeast from Concepci6n, in the village of the Nacogdoches.
These three missions stood on the road by which the French had
made their incursions into Texas, and'were thus intended to guard
against further trespass. A fourth, called San Joseph, was estab-
lished among the Noaches, seven leagues northeast of Concepci6n.
Later in the year, when the Spaniards discovered the presence of
the French on Red River, they built two other missions still far-
ther east and southeast, among the Adays and Ays. The one
among the Adays, called San Miguel de Linares, was only eight
leagues from the French post at the Nachitoches. The one among
the Ays was called Nuestra Sefiora de los Dolores.1 Concepci6n
was nominated the capital of the missions founded and to be
1Representacion hecha por Antonio Margil de Jesus, Texas MSS., 223.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 6, July 1902 - April, 1903, periodical, 1903; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101028/m1/27/: accessed July 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.