The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 6, July 1902 - April, 1903 Page: 92
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
92 Texas Historical Association Quarterly.
northwest, Nuevo Mexico. On the north it is not found to have
other confines than those of the many barbarous nations."
In 1767 and 1768 Fr. Gaspar Jos6 de Solis made a visita to the
missions of the province of Texas. In the course of his travels
along the Rio Grande he had occasion to send some Indians who
were without instruction in the holy faith to the curate of the villa
of Laredo. On the following day he arrived at the hacienda Do-
lores of Don Joseph Borrego, on the bank of the Rio del Norte,
which hacienda "belongs to the government of Nuevo Santander of
the Mexican Gulf."2 At the time of a later visit to the Rio Grande,
the same year, 1768, he speaks of Laredo as a "foundation of Col-
onel Don Joseph Escand6n, belonging to the government of Nuevo
The Breve Compendio of Bonilla is justly regarded as one of the
best authorities upon the early history of Texas. In this work the
Medina is represented as the place where the government of Coa-
huila ends and that of Texas begins. The length of the latter
province is given as about two hundred and forty leagues and its
width as eighty.8
Another important work for early Texas history is Morfi's Me-
morias para la Historia de Tejas. In this the extent and boundaries
of the province are thus given:
"It is distant from Mexico about three hundred and sixty leagues,
more or less, to the north-northeast. On the south it begins at the
bay of Espiritu Santo, which is, with little variation, in 33 degrees
north latitude, and extends to the north as far as the town
of San Teodoro de los Taovayas, occupying a space of more than
two hundred and fifty leagues from north to south. It has the same
or a little greater extent from east to west, from the river Medina,
which separates it from Coahuila as far as the abandoned presidio
de los Adaes, where it joins Louisiana. It is bounded on the south
by the gulf of Mexico; on the east by Louisiana and English col-
onies; on the north, north-northwest, and northwest by Nuevo Mex-
ico and unexplored lands; and on the west by the provinces of Coa-
Carta de Fr. Francisco Xavier Ortiz, 1762, Memorias de Nueva Espaa,
2See his Diario, Historia, 27 253 and vta., also 295.
o 8Breve Compendio, Par. 1, Historia, 27 1 and vta.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 6, July 1902 - April, 1903, periodical, 1903; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101028/m1/96/: accessed October 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.