The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 7, July 1903 - April, 1904 Page: 81
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Fragments.
NOTES AND FRAGMENTS.
EARLY COURTS OF FAYETTE COUNTY.-The following facts rela-
tive to early sessions of the district court of Fayette County have
been furnished by Mrs. Julia Lee Sinks:
Fayette County belonged to the third judicial district of the
Republic. The first term of the district court was held in the
spring of 1838. Hon. R. M. Williamson was judge, Jerome Alex-
ander1 was clerk, and H. C. Hudson district attorney. There is
no record of the name of the sheriff, but inasmuch as John Breed-
ing appears as incumbent of that office during the second term it
may be assumed that he held it also during the first.
The names of the jurors who were summoned for the years 1838
and 1839 are as follows:
Birt, S. P.
Brazil, George W.
Breeding, N. B.
Breeding, Richard L.
Burnham, William P.
'Killed in the Dawson fight.
2San Jacinto soldier.
"Killed in the Dawson fight.
Chew, Benjamin F.
Cottle, Lee F. T.
Crisswell, John Y.
Crisswell, Leroy V.
Cunningham, John C.
Daniel, Joseph P.
'One of the Old Three Hundred. [He himself spelled his
See THE QUARTERLY, V 12, note.-EDITOR QUARTERLY.]
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 7, July 1903 - April, 1904, periodical, 1904; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101030/m1/85/: accessed October 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.