The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905 Page: 120
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas Historical Association Quarterly.
set aside for a church, curate's dwelling, and other ecclesiastical
buildings; that on the west was to be reserved for municipal build-
ings. In some suitable place, which the commissioner might
choose, a square was to be laid out for a market square. The com-
missioner was also to select a block for a jail and a house of cor-
rection, another for buildings designed for public instruction, and
another, without the limits of the town, for a cemetery. Streets
were to be twenty varas wide. Town lots were to be appraised and
sold at public auction, and payments made in three installments
at the end respectively of six, twelve, and eighteen months. The
funds obtained from the sale of lots were to go toward the build-
ing of churches in the towns, and a tax of one peso was levied
upon all owners of lots for the same purpose. Lots were to be
given free of cost to empresarios and to all kinds of mechanics.'
When Kerr had been irregularly appointed surveyor by De Witt
in 1825 he had drawn up a plan of the town of Gonzales.2 This
plan was sent, December 12, 1825, to the political chief, who in
turn forwarded it to the governor, February 5, 1826.3 On March
10, the governor returned to the political chief his approval.4 But
as Gonzales was broken up soon afterward it is probable that Kerr
was never notified of this fact.
By 1831 the newly established Gonzales had grown to such an ex-
tent that it became necessary again to take sters toward laying out
the town. Navarro was now informed that, although Kerr, in
forming the plan of the town in 1825, had not followed exactly
the prescribed rule as set forth in the instructions to commissioners,
issued April 26, 1825,6 the governor had approved the plan, coup-
ling his approval with an order that the public squares should be
In 1832 under Navarro's supervision Byrd Lockhart surveyed the
town tract containing the four square leagues of land to which each
SInstructions to Commissioners, September 4, 1827.
2 See above, page 102.
8 Political chief to Navarro, April 14, 1831 (Titles, De Witt's Contract,
829-830); James Kerr to political chief, December 12, 1825 (Bexar Ar-
4 Political chief to Navarro, April 14, 1831. Titles, De Witt's Con-
5I have not been able to find a copy of these early instructions.
O Political chief to Navarro, April 14, 1831. Titles, De Witt's Con-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905, periodical, 1905; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101033/m1/122/: accessed December 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.