The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905 Page: 122
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas Historical Association Quarterly.
were twenty-five varas wide.' The portion lying east of Water
street was divided into twelve-acre lots, each one hundred and
fifty-six by four hundred varas. That part lying directly east of the
inner town was divided into two "tiers," each containing thirty-
five of these twelve-acre lots. These "tiers" were separated by East
Avenue, one hundred and seventy varas wide, extending from the
middle of the eastern line of the inner town to the eastern limit
of the four league tract. The remaining portion of land east of
Water Street was divided into fifteen ranges, each containing fifty-
eight of the twelve-acre lots. Ranges one and two were separated
by North Avenue, also one hundred and seventy varas wide and
extending from the middle of the northern line of the inner town
to the northern limit of the four league tract.2
Town lots were to be appraised and sold at public auction.'
Purchasers were to pay in three installments at the end respec-
tively of six, twelve, and eighteen months, a forfeiture accruing in
case of failure to pay. For prompt payment, a discount of six
per cent a year was allowed. A settler might hold by deed as
many as four "out" lots and two "in" lots provided he improve
them.4 The price of a deed was three dollars,5 besides the price
of the stamped paper upon which the deed was made. Deeds to
"in" lots and "out" lots had to be made out separately.6 The sur-
veyor's fee for an "in" lot was one dollar, for an "out" lot two.7
Upon receiving his deeds each purchaser was also to pay an addi-
tional sum of one dollar for an "in" lot and two for an "out" lot, in
order to help defray surveyors' fees and other expenses of the town.8
A tax of one dollar a year was put upon "in" lots; no tax was levied
1Laws, Ordinances, and Municipal Regulations of the town of Gon-
zales (MS. in office of Harwood and Walsh). A strip fifteen varas wide
along the left bank of the river was also set aside for public purposes.
But this regulation was never observed, and today this land is covered by
2 See map 3.
8 Colonization Law of Coahuila and Texas, March 24, 1825, section 36.
'Minutes of the Ayuntamiento of Gonzales 1833, article 11 (MS.
in office of Harwood and Walsh, Gonzales, Texas). See appendix VI.
SIn the minutes of the ayuntamiento the terms "dollars" and "cents"
are used, but it is not clear whether the American coins or the Mexican
pesos and centavos are intended.
SIbid., article 20.
1 bid., article 12.
'Ibid., article 28.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905, periodical, 1905; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101033/m1/124/: accessed October 19, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.