The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905 Page: 195
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Map 1 of the following series shows the location, with reference
to the present counties and towns, of the lands occupied by settlers
in De Witt's colony, distinguishing between lands obtained through
De Witt as empresario and those obtained directly from the gov-
ernment. The grants shown on this map are numbered to cor-
respond with the names of the respective grantees given in appen-
dix I. The map was compiled from the original titles and from
county maps in the General Land Office of the state of Texas.
Map 2 is the plot of the four leagues composing the town tract
of Gonzales. It was traced from the original which is found in
Titles, De Witt's Contract, 847, General Land Office.
Map 3 shows the subdivisions of the inner and outer town,
which composed the four league town tract. It is a copy of a
map in the office of Harwood and Walsh that was compiled by L.
Chenault and L. H. Hopkins some ten or twelve years ago, partly
from field notes that are still in existence and partly from an
older map showing a portion of the town tract. This older map
is also preserved in the office of Harwood and Walsh.
Map 4 shows the plan of the inner town. It was made by Mr.
Darst. See above, page 121, note 2.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905, periodical, 1905; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101033/m1/195/: accessed June 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.