The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905 Page: 273
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Fragments.
A third reference to the Mexican Advocate is contained in the
following article, which was taken from its columns, and was
printed in the Gazette of October 20, 1829:
Nacogdoches, Texas, Sept. 4.
By a letter from the interior we learn that an action has been
fought near Cabo-Rojo, between the Mexicans and Gauchapines,
in which the latter were defeated with the loss of 200 killed.
It is stated that Gen. Terran has taken command of the eastern
division of the army, and that Col. Ahumada has marched with
the Sattillo troops to join the main army. It is likewise stated
that as the European Spaniards in Tampico, who had their time
prolonged to settle their business were on the eve of sending $400,-
000 to the Spanish army, they were discovered and the money
seized and confiscated. Mex. Adv.
The date of the first number of the Advocate is fixed by these
extracts on or about September 4, 1829. Perhaps it was a few
days earlier. The article below, dated "Nacogdoohes, Sept. 1," may
possibly have appeared in an earlier number. This article was
printed in the St. Louis Beacon of Nov. 21, 1829. There is noth-
ing in the Beacon to indicate whether it is original or copied. The
points that suggested its appearance in the Advocate are: (1)
the date; (2) the editorial we; (3) the almost verbatim reproduc-
tion in the New York Courier's notice' of the "first number" of the
Advocate, of the second sentence in this article, beginning "Nacog-
doches is situated in 31 deg. 42m N. L." etc.; and (4) it contains
facts that would have occurred only to one who wrote on the spot
NACOGDOCHES, Sept. 1.
There are probably few places of the size of Nacogdoches, of
which more has been said and of which less is known at a distance;
we shall therefore give a short description of it. Nacogdoches is
situated in 31 deg. 42m. N. L. on the main road from Natchi-
toches to San Felipe de Austin and Bejar. The situation of the
town is beautiful, it being on an eminence just above the junction
of two beautiful creeks, the Nana on the east and the Banito on
the west-the waters of which are as clear as crystal.
Few places have undergone more changes and been the seat of
trade, and that he has become a farmer or farm hand attached to Jose
Doste. The Padron of 1833 shows him still in this relation and occupa-
tion. No notice of him was found in later Padrones.
1THE QUARTERLY, VII 243.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905, periodical, 1905; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101033/m1/280/: accessed September 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.