The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905 Page: 281
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Municipal Government of San Fernando de Bxar. 281
from the College of Quer6taro appointed to assist in the under-
taking, joined a party of soldiers, under the leadership again of
De Le6n, which was sent out in 1690 to find any Frenchmen that
might still be remaining in the country, and to assist in the in-
auguration of the mission movement. For the time, the mission
was regarded as sufficient for the purposes of both the government
and the padres, although De Le6n suggested in a report to the
viceroy that presidios be established along the route from Coahuila
to the country of the Texas. At San Francisco de los Texas, which
was the first mission founded in Texas, and the only one estab-
lished by this expedition,1 three soldiers were stationed as a guard.
This was in accordance with the viceroy's instructions to the effect
that no large force should be left in the country unless the Texas
Indians proved dangerous; and, in that event, only the num-
ber asked for by Padre Manzanet. De Le6n insisted on leaving a
force of fifty men to guard the mission. Padre Manzanet, how-
ever, considered this entirely unnecessary and even unwise; but he
consented that three soldiers should remain. The objective point
of this expedition was the country of the Texas Indians, because it
was among them that the outlook for missionary work seemed
most promising. In the course of the advance of the French up
Red River this district became the north-eastern frontier of Span-
ish occupation. The bay of Espiritu Santo, where the French had
been first discovered, was, for the time, neglected. The advantages
of the locality which later became the center of Spanish attention,
and was known as Bexar (San Antonio) had not yet been recog-
tecans did not begin their work until 1716. As to the way in which the
work was first divided between the two colleges see Representn. hecha 4
su Ema. por los R. R. Pads. Misioneros.
1Another mission, Santisimo Nombre de Maria, was founded by Padre
Francisco de Jesus Maria in June, 1690, after De Le6n had returned to
Coahuila. It was placed on a small river, Archangel Miguel, and was
a few miles to the north of San Francisco de los Texas which had also
been placed among the Asinais Indians. (Relacion of Fray Franco. de
Jesus Marfa; and Descripoion y diaria demarcacion executada por el Gen-
eral D. Domingo Terdn principiada en 16 de Mayo, de 1691 y finalizada
en 15 de Abl. de 1692, in Memorias de Nueva Espara, XXVII, 23-74.)
After Texas was abandoned in 1693, this mission was not heard of again.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905, periodical, 1905; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101033/m1/288/: accessed April 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.