The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905 Page: 34
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
34 Texas Historical Association Quarterly.
The Marquez de Aguayo re-established the old missions, founded
the rest which are now in existence, and the presidios of Nuestra
Senora del Pilar de los Adaes, Loreto, or Bahia del Espiritu Santo,
on the same site where Roberto Cavalier de la Sala had put his fort,
and that of los Dolores, which today is the site of the abandoned
Orcoquisac; he found a better site for San Antonio de Vexar, locat-
ing it between the rivers San Antonio and San Pedro; and finally,
left the province garrisoned with two hundred and seventy-eight
soldiers,' a hundred at los Adaes, ninety at la Bahia, twenty-five at
los Dolores, and fifty-three at San Antonio, taking eighteen 2
months for the expedition."
one, that war should not be waged against the French, and that when
the Province of Texas was once recovered it should be fortified, and
especially Espiritu Santo Bay, with such presidios as [should be found]
expedient" (Test., Sec. 32).
On the 18th of November, 1721 (Diario del Viaje, fol. 52), Aguayo re-
ceived a dispatch from the viceroy, informing him of this royal cedula,
in which the King expressed his approbation of the arrangements made
for this entrada, "ordering anew that war should be not waged against
the French, in recovering this province, . . . ordering also that this
province should be fortified with such presidios, on such sites, as should
appear expedient, especially at the Bay of Espiritu Santo (which had
already been occupied for a year by forty soldiers). The viceroy ordered
that the governor should add fifty soldiers to this garrison, selecting the
best of those under his command."
1A mistake. The number was 268. See below, page 37. The Testimonio
also gives 268.
"Twenty-six (Diario del Viaje, 60). The Breve Compendio counts from
November 15, 1720, when Aguayo started the battalion to Texas; the
Diario del Viaje probably counts from April 1, 1720, when the five hun-
dred recruits began their march to Coahuila. The expedition formally
closed May 31, 1722.
'The Testimonio (Secs. 32-33) reads: "The Marques re-established the
three missions of los Adaes, and erected there the above named Presidio
of Nuesttra Seilora del Pilar, seven leagues this side of the [Post] of
Nachittoos, and on the same road. He located another presidio, and re-
stored three other missions in the region properly called Texas,-the name
clings to all the province -; it is about in its center, a hundred and
seventy-two leagues beyond San Antonio, seventy leagues this side of the
French [Post] of Nachittoos, and thirty from the [Post] of Candadachos,
which likewise belongs to the French.
"He established another presidio with the name of Nuestra Seiiora de
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905, periodical, 1905; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101033/m1/36/?rotate=270: accessed March 29, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.