The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905 Page: 38
38 ~ e as Historical Association Quarterly.
mained, as a result of this revista, one hundred and forty-three.
Even this number of troops seemed to him too large, for he states
in his plan that the soldiers would live in tranquillity, without being
discommoded by the hardships of the service.1
To each captain he left a short ordinance or instruction for the
government of his presidio; he corrected some abuses, among them
the oppressive practice of furnishing to the soldiers the goods and
effects which they needed, at exorbitant prices.
He found the Mission of San Miguel de los Adaes without a
single Indian; that of Nuestra Sefiora de los [Dolores de los] Ais
with only one small rancheria,2 and not a single Christian; that of
Nuestra Sefiora de Guadalupe de Nacodoches with many Indians,
all heathen, though of good disposition and industrious; these three
missions are those which the Religious of Zacatecas serve [d] but
have given up in the present year.3
Contiguous to the Presidio of la Bahia del Espiritu Santo was
found [at that time] only the mission of this name, in which were
eight families of the Tancames, though [they were] not Christians;
and the Religious of the aforesaid college were trying to convert
Next to the Presidio of Nuestra Sefiora de los Dolores, he in-
spected the establishment of the missions of Nuestra Sefiora de la
Concepcion de los Asinais, San Francisco de los Neches, San Josef
de los Nazones; all without Indians, and the missionaries with little
hopes of collecting them. These missions, however, were afterward
removed to the vicinity of San Antonio de Vexar.4
'The Testimonio does not mention this revista.
"I. e., a collection of huts and cabins; a sort of village.
'As a result of the revista of the Marqu6z de Rubi in 1767 (see below),
the Presidios of Pilar and Orcoquisac were abandoned. Thereupon the
Zacatecans gave up their three missions, which had been under the pro-
tection of those presidios (See Garrison's Texas, 91).
'The Quer6taraans in charge of these three missions were disappointed
at finding that their equipment was to be reduced, instead of being in-
creased, as they had hoped, hence they asked that they might move their
missions to the vicinity of San Antonio de Bexar. The removal was
effected by the close of 1730, and the Zacatecans were for the next forty-
two years in sole possession of the field. Talamantes's suggestion that a
Here’s what’s next.
Show all pages in this issue.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 8, July 1904 - April, 1905, periodical, 1905; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101033/m1/40/ocr/: accessed September 27, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.