The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 9, July 1905 - April, 1906 Page: 283
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Fragments.
purpose of the appropriation. In Hogg's administration more than
nine-tenths of the newspapers of the Republic and of early Texas
in the Union now in the State Library were acquired and brought
in by the State Librarian as a result of his personal researches for
data amid the historic spots of the Republic. Besides these, many
exceedingly rare and valuable Texas books and documents were
added to the Library in this way. It may be added, in this con-
nection, that all the -old newspapers of the Republic and State in
the Library, with one exception, noted above, have been acquired
under this fund, which has been used since then exclusively for
purchasing historical data and as a supplementary book-purchasing
fund. The appropriation for buying books for the State Library
was increased under Hogg's influence from $300.00 per annum to
$1000.00 per annum. It is a matter for keen regret that subse-
quent -administrations have not seen fit to continue this liberal
C. W. RAINES.
THE OLD STONE FORT AT NAcoGDOCHEs.-The question as to
who built the historic landmark known as the "Old Stone Fort,"
which till recently stood at Nacogdoches, though of little import-
ance, has a popular interest of the antiquarian sort, .and it will not
down until satisfactorily answered. The erection of the building
has usually been attributed by tradition to Gil Ybarbo, who oc-
cupied the site of ,old mission Nacogdoches after it had been de-
serted by the Spaniards about six years. But some persons have
supposed that the building was standing there when Ybarbo oc-
cupied the place, the most extraordinary conjecture of this sort
being that the "Fort" was the work of De Soto's men who went
through northeast Texas in 1542. I cannot say whether Gil
Ybarbo erected it or not, but the evidence given below establishes
a very strong presumption that it was not built before he settled
there, and thus helps to narrow by some centuries the range of the
unknown in the matter.
In 1768 Father Gaspar Jose de Solis, of the Franciscan College
.of Zacatecas, inspected the missions supported by that College in
Texas. The entry in his diary for June 1 tells us that the most
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 9, July 1905 - April, 1906, periodical, 1906; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101036/m1/289/: accessed April 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.