The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 9, July 1905 - April, 1906 Page: 51
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
A Chapter in the History of Young Territory.
A CHAPTER IN THE HISTORY OF YOUNG TERRITORY.'
FANNIE MCALPINE CLARKE.
The settlement of the portion of Texas designated on the maps
for so long as "Young Territory" was retarded by the incursions
of hostile Indians until the last quarter of the nineteenth century.
After the annexation of Texas to the United States the Texas
tribes were placed under the control of the Federal government
which assumed the duty of protecting the Texan frontier from
depredations by the savage tribes. As fully two-thirds of the state
was unsettled at that time, one of the first acts of the national au-
thorities to accomplish this purpose was the establishment of a
cordon of forts from the Red river to the Rio Grande. Of these
forts, Richardson, Belknap, Camp Cooper, and Phantom Hill were
located in Young Territory. It was impossible for these garrisons,
though well disciplined troops under efficient officers were stationed
in them, to prevent frequent raids into the region whose unex-
celled grazing facilities sustained countless herds of buffalo, an-
telope, deer, and mustangs, forming an ideal hunting ground for
the red man and which, moreover, he claimed as his birthright.
It is not strange that the fierce aboriginal tribes looked with jeal-
ous ire upon the gradual encroachments of the dominant race
upon the Paradise of their savage tastes, or that they should wage
a cruel and merciless warfare on the weak settlements of the dar-
It was thought the native tribes of Texas-about 20 in number
-were entitled to a domicile in the state on some of its vast unoc-
cupied domain in order to reclaim them from the savage condi-
tion by instruction in the arts of civilization. The legislature of
Texas set apart 55,728 acres of land to be reserved to the United
States for this purpose. Under the supervision of Maj. R. S.
Neighbors, two agencies were located, one on the main Brazos
'Called in the statutes "Young Land District." See Gammel, Laws of
Texas, IV 791.-EDITOR QUARTERLY.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 9, July 1905 - April, 1906, periodical, 1906; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101036/m1/55/?rotate=270: accessed August 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.