The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 9, July 1905 - April, 1906 Page: 73
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Spanish Abandonment and Re-Occupation of East Texas.. 73
T6xas mission, founded five new ones in the vicinity, and placed
a garrison at Presidio de los Texas, or Dolores. All of these new
missions were nearer the French frontier than San Francisco, the
first one, while one of them, San Miguel de Linares, was beyond
the Sabine River, squarely in front of the French post at Natchi-
The frontier military policy thus begun by establishing Presidio
de los Texas, was developed by war between France and Spain.
A French attack on Pensacola in 1719 was followed by the flight
of the frightened Spanish garrison and missionaries from the
frontier to B6xar. As soon as possible the Marques de San Miguel
de Aguayo was sent (1721) to recover the province and to
strengthen its defences. He re-established the abandoned mis-
sions and Presidio, de los T6xas, built a new presidio called Pilar
de los Adaes near Mission San Miguel, and garrisoned it with a
While the defences of the northeast had thus been first pro-
vided and later strengthened to guard against the danger o f French
encroachment, one of the principal reasons for weakening them
again was an official opinion that this fear was unfounded. In
1727-28 General Pedro de Rivera inspected all of the Texas pre-
sidios; and, at the request of the viceroy, reported the changes that
he thought should be made in them. Among these recommenda-
tions one was that, since the Indians of the northeast were peace-
ful, Presidio de los T6xas was unnecessary and should be aban-
doned; and another was that, since the danger from the French
garrison at Natchitoches was very slight, the Spanish guard at
Adaes was unnecessarily large, and should be reduced from one
hundred to sixty soldiers. These recommendations were carried
out a year later. One result of this change was that the Quer6-
taran friars, whose missions depended on Presidio de los T6xas,
moved their missions to San Antonio de Bexar (1731). This
left on the frontier the presidio of Pilar de los Adaes and the mis-
sions at Adaes, Los Ais, and Nacogdoches.
For a score or more of years no important change was made in
East Texas, but the chief matters of interest there were a dispute
over the boundary between Spanish and French territory and
complaints about French smuggling on the border. The increase
of this species of trade along the Trinity led to the establishment
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 9, July 1905 - April, 1906, periodical, 1906; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101036/m1/77/: accessed July 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.