The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 10, July 1906 - April, 1907 Page: 304
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas Historical Association Quarterly.
inclusive, were made before the mission was moved to the San An-
tonio. They throw valuable light on the change of names for the
mission. The entries for 17 10 and 1711 give the name "esta mis-
sion de San Francisco Solano ;" the first for 1712 calls it "mission
del Senor S. Joseph, yglecia de San Francisco Solano;" the first
for 1713 reads "esta mission de la advocacion de el Sefior S. Joseph,
e yglecia de S. Francisco Solano."
(b) San Antonio de, Valero.-The burial records for this mis-
sion begin with 1721, but the marginal entry numbers 11-18 are
missing, which indicates that one or more pages have been torn out.
The last entries are in 1782, the total number being 1376.
In some years the death rate was extremely high. For instance,
a report shows that on March 6, 1762, the total Indian population
of the mission was 275 persons,' and this book shows that in 1763
there were 130 burials, making it appear that nearly half of the
population died in one year.
11. RECORDS FOR LA PURISSIMA CONCEPCION.
For this mission the collection contains only the book of mar-
riages, entitled: Libro de Casamientos de Esta Mission de la Pu-
rissa. Concepcion. Pueblo de Acura. Fundado En Oinco de el
Mes de Marzo de el Afro de Mill Setecientos Treinta y Uno en la
Margen de este Rio de San Antonio.2
This is an unbound cuaderno of thirty-six folios. The first twelve
folios are a copy of older records, made in 1746 at the instance of
Fray Benito Francisco de Santa Ana, president of the Quer6teran
missions, and minister at Concepci6n. The remainder of the docu-
ment is made up of original entries. The whole cuaderno is in
good state of preservation.
The record extends from 1733 to 1790, inclusive, while some
pages at the back, how many I cannot say, have been torn off. The
entries reach a total of 249 in the fifty-seven years. From time to
time there is entered the record of a visita, or official inspection, of
the mission. While the possession of the baptismal and burial rec-
1"Ynforme de Misiones," 1762, in Memorias de Nveva Espaia, XXVIII,
2Translation: Book of Marriages at this mission of La Purfssima Con-
cepci6n, Pueblo de Acuiia, founded March 5, 1731, on the bank of this
river San Antonio.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 10, July 1906 - April, 1907, periodical, 1907; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101040/m1/340/: accessed May 25, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.