The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 11, July 1907 - April, 1908 Page: 71
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Notes and Fragments.
was done by oxen and horses. The Perseverance was of the first
pattern of locomotives used on railroads in the United States,
and would be a great curiosity if on exhibition at the present day.
Ned Williams was the first engineer that pulled the throttle on
this engine. Some of the old timers who are alive today and
whose memories are fresh say that the Perseverance was all right
as an engine to go ahead, but would seldom back up, and
in consequence it was always used for go-ahead work. The "Bra-
zos" was the next engine received; it was quite an improvement on
the old Perseverance, and the boys on the road felt very proud
William Clawson was the first conductor, and John Shenhols
the first baggage master. The Galveston Bay bridge was com-
pleted in 1859, and the first trains commenced running that year
from Galveston to Houston. The rolling stock consisted of the two
engines, Perseverance and Brazos, one flat car boarded up all
around for passengers, and three or four flat cars for freight.
Ned Williams was engineer on the Brazos and George Rand on the
Perseverance. Hawley Pierson was the first fireman on this
old-time locomotive. He is alive today, and during a period of
forty-four years has been one of the most successful passenger engi-
neers in Texas. For more than thirty-eight years he has been with
the Southern Pacific.
The gauge of the road when first built was five feet six inches,
but when Mr. Hoxie became president and general manager it was
made a standard guage.
The late James Converse, of Houston, Texas, was the chief engi-
neer who located the line between Galveston and Houston. The
late W. W. Gregory was the first freight agent at Galveston; A. H.
Walterman was the first superintendent, and Geo. B. Nichols the
first master mechanic. R. H. Read was yardmaster and track
foreman. A. F. James was the first president of the road, but
when the Civil War commenced, in 1861, J. M. Brown succeeded
James as president, and continued to serve in that capacity until
the close of the war. In 1866 the road went into the hands of
receivers, and Cowdry and James of New York were appointed.
The men who did the grading and laid the track were Irishmen.
It was the custom at that time for the contractors to furnish their
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 11, July 1907 - April, 1908, periodical, 1908; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101045/m1/75/: accessed June 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.