The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 11, July 1907 - April, 1908 Page: 72
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas Historical Association Quarterly.
grading hands and track layers with a certain number of drinks
every day. The men called these drinks "jiggers," and every one
who worked had an understanding with the contractors as to how
many "jiggers" they were to receive every day in addition to
their wages. A Mr. Burk had the first contract to grade the road;
Kay and Gallagher were the sub-contractors, and afterwards W.
W. Buell finished the contract for grading and track laying, which
work was completed under R. H. Read as foreman.
The first conductors employed on the road were William Claw-
son, Henry Clark, Mr. Terry, Sy. Parker, Mr. Rogers, Harry
Sears, and John H. Westott. In 1861, and until the end of
the war, one mixed passenger and freight train made the run to
Houston; it took from two and a half to three and a half hours.
The only stations on the road up to 1868 were Virginia Point,
Highland Station, Dickinson, Clear Creek, Summit, and Harris-
burg. During the war and for some time after the machine and
repair shops were located at Harrisburg.
The first express company to commence business in Texas was
inaugurated by Starrs Jones, and was called Jones's New Orleans
and Texas Express. The first express messenger was George Colt,
and .his run was between Galveston and Houston. The main office
was in Galveston, with a branch office in Houston. These were
the only express offices in Texas from 1860 to the close of the war
The baggage masters on the first railroads built in Texas were
the most popular employes of the roads. In addition to their regu-
lar duties, they assisted the brakeman in making up trains and
also acted as mail agents and did the shopping for all the ladies
on the line of the road.
JOHN A. CAPLEN.
THE DAVIS LETTER.-The letter of Major J. H. Davis published
in the April QUARTERLY was obtained through the kindly services
of Mrs. Sam D. Bennet, of Cuero. It covers four pages of a folio,
with only five lines at the top and three at the bottom of the last
page, leaving the intermediate space blank for the address. This
is as follows:
Mrs Pamela Davis
Forward by Morganfield
Capt Hagler Ky
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 11, July 1907 - April, 1908, periodical, 1908; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101045/m1/76/: accessed June 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.