The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 13, July 1909 - April, 1910 Page: 13
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Navy of the Republic of Texas.
yards, "for much useful information imparted to me by these gen-
On June 24, 1840, Captain Tod was placed in command of the
naval station at Galveston.
X. EARLY TROUBLES OF THE NEW NAVY.
By the end of April, 1840, the make-up of the second navy was
completed. It consisted of the Potomac, Zavala, Austin, Wharton,
Archer, San Bernard, San Jacinto, and San Antonio. The Zavala,
formerly the Charlestcn, was named for Lorenzo de Zavala; the
Austin, for Stephen F. Austin; the Wharton, formerly the Dolphin,
for the Wharton brothers,-William H. and John A.;-and the
Archer, formerly the Colorado, for Dr. Branch T. Archer. Besides
these vessels references are found to the Trinity,2 the Galveston,a
the Houston,4 the Merchant,5 the Texas,; the Asp,7 and the Brazos.
The first two were apparently a part of the Dawson contract, and
doubtless became incorporated in the fleet under changed names;
the Houston seems to have been a Yucatan auxiliary, temporarily
acting with the Texans; and the Merchant was the private prop-
erty of E. W. Moore. Of the other vessels mentioned nothing
further is known.
This brings us to the personnel of the new navy, and we will
now introduce the officers, renewing old acquaintances and form-
ing new ones. The man that stands out pre-eminently for his in-
dividuality, as well as high position in the navy, is Commodore
Edwin Ward Moore. Born in June, 1810, at Alexandria, Virginia,
where he received his education, he entered the United States navy
as a midshipman, at the age of fourteen, and remained in the
'House Journal, 5th Tex. Cong., 1st Sess., Appendix, 198.
'An unidentified newspaper clipping, with matter copied from an issue of
the Army and Navy Chronicle of date not indicated.
'Jones, Republic of Texas, 194.
'Moore, To the People of Texas, 86.
'Journal of Midshipman James L. Mabry in Galveston News, January 9,
16, 23, 1893. This Journal, together with the Ledger and Ration Book of
the Texas Navy are the property of Mrs. R. W. Shaw, of Galveston, daughter
of Captain James G. Hurd, formerly first lieutenant of the Brutus, and
granddaughter of Captain Norman Hurd, purser in the Texas navy.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 13, July 1909 - April, 1910, periodical, 1910; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101051/m1/21/: accessed August 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.