The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 14, July 1910 - April, 1911 Page: 83
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Affairs of the Association.
AFFAIRS OF THE ASSOCIATION
On July 3 Professor George P. Garrison, who for thirteen years
was the editor of THE QUARTERLY and the vital spirit of the As-
sociation, died of chronic valvular disease of the heart. His last
work for the Association was to edit, while lying in bed, a part
of the "Reminiscences of Henry Smith," which appears in this
number. Under his scholarly direction THE QUARTERLY has
gained recognition as one of the best local historical publications
in the United States, and it will be no easy matter to carry on
the task which he so ably began. His death is a sad loss to his-
torical scholarship in America; and to the University of Texas, of
whose Faculty he was the senior member, the loss is in many ways
irreparable. No teacher in Texas had higher ideals of citizenship,
or more success in effectively inculcating those ideals in others.
The memorial below, attesting the appreciation of the Associa-
tion for his unique services, was prepared at the request of Presi-
dent Terrell by a committee consisting of Judge John C. Townes,
Mrs. Bride Neill Taylor, and Professor W. J. Battle.
To the Texas State Historical Association:
Dr. Garrison was born at Carrollton, Georgia, December 19,
1853. He died at his home in Austin, Texas, July 3, 1910.
He enjoyed the advantages of good private schools in Georgia
and Tennessee during his youth. In his early manhood he came
with his father's family to Texas, settling near Henderson. He
chose teaching as his life work, and, desiring to fit himself more
fully for his adopted profession, selected the University of Edin-
burgh in which to prosecute his advanced studies. He graduated
from that institution in 1881, receiving the degree of L. A. In 1896
he received the degree of Doctor of Philosophy from the Univer-
sity of Chicago.
In 1883 the University of Texas was organized, and in 1884
Dr. Garrison came to the institution as instructor in English and
History, a position which he held until 1888, when the Schools of
English and History were separated. Dr. Garrison was then put
in charge of the School of History with the rank of Assistant Pro-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 14, July 1910 - April, 1911, periodical, 1911; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101054/m1/91/: accessed August 16, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.