The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912 Page: 172
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas Historical Association Quarterly
AFFAIRS OF THE ASSOCIATION
In the January number TI-IE QUARTERLY will begin the publi-
cation of the letters of William Kennedy and Captain Charles
Elliot to the British government concerning Texas during 1842-
1845. Kennedy came to Texas in January, 1842, as a semi-offi-
cial agent of Lord Aberdeen, and claimed to have been instrumental
in inducing the Texan senate to ratify the slave-trade treaty with
England. He returned later to be British consul at Galveston.
Captain Elliot arrived in the summer of 1842 as charge d'affaires of
Great Britain, and remained until Texas accepted annexation to the
United States in 1845. Both were keen observers, and their let-
ters are most important sources for phases of the foreign relations
of Texas. The letters will form a, valuable supplement to Pro-
fessor Garrison's three volumes of The Diplomatic Correspondence
of the Republic of Texas, just issued by the American Historical
Association. The letters are being copied from the British Public
Record Office by the instruction of Professor Ephraim D. Adams,
of Leland Stanford University, who will edit them for THE QUAR-
The Association has received as a gift from Mr. Harvey T. D.
Wilson, of Houston, an interesting pamphlet of twelve pages
printed in Houston in 1855. It is a memorial of Robert Wilson,
father of the donor, to the Legislature in 1855 asking damages for
the destruction of valuable property at Harrisburg when Santa
Anna burned that town in 1836. The property is described as
consisting of "an extensive steam saw-mill, gristmill, a store, dwell-
ing houses, blacksmith, carpenter, turning and woodshops, and
houses for the workmen. . . . The mill was of the best and
most substantial character-able to cut, easily from 5 to 7m. feet
per day, and grind 100 or more bushels of corn in the same time.
. . . [This establishment] furnished lumber to the colonists,
and to the Mexican coast-ports as well: it supplied very many with
bread: by means of its workshops of various kinds, it extended
facilities to the colonists to be had nowhere else in the country.
It was looked to as the great evidence of the prosperity, growth,
and stability of Austin's colony."
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912, periodical, 1912; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101056/m1/177/?rotate=270: accessed November 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.