The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912 Page: 41
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Aguayo Expedition
reached what is now probably Big Cedar Creek, not far from where
it joins the Navasota, and the next few days were spent in bridg-
ing a river which they called the San Buenaventura, the present
From the crossing of this river, the route, given as northeast,
lay on the old Royal Highway (Camino Real), or the T6xas road.
On the 8th of July, some ten or fifteen miles from the Trinity,
the Spaniards for the first time in this expedition, came upon
Indians. That morning a party of soldiers, accompanied by
Father Espinosa and two other religious, was sent out to inquire
into rumors of nearby Texas Indians. Following a path south,
off the main road, across a small stream, they came upon a settle-
ment where were all the nation of the Rancheria Grande, whose
chief Juan Rodriguez was guiding the Spanish force, and some of
the Bidays and Agdocos (Deodosos) nations. When Aguayo ap-
proached, the bugles sounded and the royal standards were un-
furled, the Indians marched out in order, bearing a white taffeta
flag with blue ribbons, which had been given them by the French,
and fired their guns, with which they were well supplied, in salute
to the Spaniards. Aguayo ordered them to place their flag be-
neath that of Spain, thus symbolizing their submission to the
Spanish King and their reception under his royal care. He then
laid his hand on about two hundred in token of their submission
The next day many of the chiefs and Indians of the Rancheria
Grande came to see Aguayo. He advised them to remain in
peace, and to withdraw beyond the Brazos, "where they were ac-
customed to live," promising on his return from eastern Texas to
found a mission near San Antonio for them. He told them, how-
ever, to meet him on the Trinity, foreseeing that their assistance
would be needed to effect a crossing of the river, and that he
would there give them clothing and presents. When he reached
'Massanet speaks of a river in this locality which the Indians call the
Nabatsoto (Diario, entry for July 28). Teran calls it the San Cypriano
(Demarcaci6n, entry for July 28). Espinosa, in 1716, names it the San
Buenaventura, which name Aguayo kept (Diario, entry for June 19). In
1727, Rivera calls it the Navasoto (Diario, entry for September 1), and
in 1767 Solis also calls it the Navasoto (Diario, entry for April 27).
2Peia, Derrotero, 13.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912, periodical, 1912; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101056/m1/46/: accessed August 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.