The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912 Page: 43
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Aguayo Expedition
the Rio Grande and spoke both the Spanish and the Texas lan-
guages. The Aynay cazique received the Spaniards with tears of
joy, saying that he had heard of their being at the Trinity fifteen
days before, and, impatient at their delay; had come to meet them.
He said that when the Spaniards had retired in 1719 they had
promised the Indians to return soon, and that if they hal delayed
much longer in reoccuping Texas, it had been his intention to go
to San Antonio after them. Aguayo delivered his customary
harangue on the goodness of the Spanish king in sending soldiers
to protect the Indians from their enemies and missionaries to in-
struct them in the Christian faith. He then gave the cazique the
silver-headed cane, appointing him captain and governor of the
By the 28th the expedition reached the San Pedro, just west of
the Neches, the site of the first mission of San Francisco de los
T6xas, 1690.2 The Indians from the surrounding settlements
brought the Spaniards flowers, corn, beans, and watermelons, re-
ceiving in return presents and clothing. The chief of the Neches
with seventy of his tribe came to meet the Spaniards and smoke the
pipe of peace." Among his tribe had been located the second Mis-
sion of San Francisco, 1716. The next day the remaining four
leagues to the Neches were accomplished,' and the six days follow-
befriended by Angelique, who received him from his Indian captors, kept
him two months, and finally sent her two sons to guide him to the French
in Louisiana (Margry, 344-345). The association of the name of this
Indian woman with the Angelina River was first suggested by Dr. H. E.
2The location of this mission has been described as "from one and a half
to three leagues-from three to six miles distant from the Neches at its
nearest point, a league or more farther from the crossing, and still another
league-in all some ten miles-from the Neches village on the other side
of the river" (Bolton, "The Native Tribes about the East Texas Missions,"
in THE QUARTERLY, XI. 265). Dr. Bolton has subsequently confirmed this
statement by a personal examination of the ground. He finds the distance
was about four and a half miles from the mouth of the San Pedro and
seven or eight from the crossing.
aWhen the Texas Indian smoked the pipe of peace, in order to indicate
entire and complete peace, "he blew the smoke first toward heaven, then
to the north, the east, the south and west, and finally toward the ground"
(Ram6n, Derrotero, 155).
4The Derrotero, 15, says that within these four leagues they passed by
the place where the presidio was first located in 1716. This evidently
refers to Ram6n's leaving his soldiers just this side of the Neches while
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912, periodical, 1912; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101056/m1/48/: accessed April 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.