The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912 Page: 45
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Aguayo Expedition
St. Denis agreed to this. lie was unable, however, says the ac-
count, to conceal his unwillingness to lose the latter place, and
emphasized the unhealthfulness and unproductiveness of the local-
ity,-as if, the Spanish writer continues, they who had had a mission
there should not know whether the land was good or not. At any
rate, St. Denis left, promising to retreat at once to Natchitoches.1
When Aguayo reached Concepci6n, across the Angelina, August
6th, he was informed by Juan Rodriguez, his Indian guide, who
in turn had received the facts from the surrounding Indians, that
St. Denis, after his return from his interview with the Spaniards
on the Neches, had tarried three days seven leagues from Concep-
ci6n; and that he had had with him the Indians of the Cadodachos
and other nations "whom since winter he had gathered to go to
take possession of La Bahia del Espiritu Santo, and from there to
San Antonio, but that this cloud had disappeared with the com-
ing of the Spaniards."2
5. The Reoccupation of Eastern Texas.-On the second of
August, while still west of the Neches, Aguayo sent ahead two de-
tachments, one with Father Joseph Guerra to, the site of the
second mission of San Francisco, the other under Fathers Gabriel
Vergara and Benito Sanchez to the mission of Concepci6n, to re-
build the churches and houses.
(a) The Refounding of the Mission of San Francisco de los
Tkxas.-On the 3rd the expedition crossed the river, and on the
5th witnessed the formal re-establishment of the Mission of San
Francisco de los Neches, "commonly called de los T6xas."3 Due
solemnity and appropriate exercises marked the refounding, the
'Pefia, Derrotero, 16.
'Ibid., 17. Cox, "The Louisiana-Texas Frontier," in TIIE QUARTERLY,
X, 13, without any direct reference to his authority, says that St. Denis
came to report the withdrawal of the French to Natchitoches, and that
"he, by means of his influence among the Indians, smoothed the way for
the re-establishment of the Spanish at los Adaes." None of the sources
used for this paper gives the impression that he helped the Spaniards in
'This mission has been located "at the Neches village close to the mound
and from two to four miles from the crossing" (Bolton, "Native Tribes
about the East Texas Missions," in TxE QUARTERLY, XI, 262-263). Dr.
Bolton has subsequently confirmed this opinion by a personal examination
of the site, reaching the conclusion that the mission was doubtless on
Bowles Creek, not far from the present crossing of that stream by the
old San Antonio road.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912, periodical, 1912; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101056/m1/50/: accessed July 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.