The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912 Page: 47
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Aguayo Expedition
next mission. Traveling in a direction between northeast and
east-northeast, they crossed the Angelina' on the 6th. This mis-
sion, which was the only one that had not been entirely destroyed,
was less than half a league beyond the river. One league still
farther on was the site of the presidio which had been erected in
1716 and abandoned in 1719, and it was here that the expedition
camped.2 The location of this mission has been described as ol-
lows: "Espinosa tells us that he founded the Mission of Concep-
ci6n a mile or two east of the place where the highway crossed the
Angelina, near two springs, in the middle of the Hanai village.
This site could not have been far from Linwood crossing."
The church was completed on the 7th, and Aguayo arranged
that on the next day, the battalion, the companies of Alonso Car-
denas and Juan Cortinas, and the eight companies that had made
up the expedition from Monclova, making ten in all, should be
present at the refounding. Father Margil celebrated mass, Father
Espinosa preached "an eloquent and touching" sermon, while the
Indians, "among them some eighty Cadodachos," were awed by
the simultaneous discharge of the artillery and at the presence
of so many Spaniards. Aguayo assured the natives that their
occupation would this time be permanent. And to gain the good
will of Cheocas, the Aynay chief, seeing that he had a large fol-
lowing, he requested the Indian to assemble his people, that gifts
might be distributed among them. When the day came the eighty
Cadodachos were present among the four hundred to be regaled.
The Spanish commander took special pains to please these, send-
ing clothes and trinkets to their people at home,- hoping thereby
to gain their good will in advance of his arrival. The day's work
was closed by the formal act of placing the College of Quer6taro
in possession through its representatives, Espinosa and Vergara,4
and by the formal investiture of Cheocas as governor."
'This expedition named it the Santa Barbara.
-Pe7ia, Derrotero, 17.
'Bolton, "The Native Tribes about the East Texas Missions," in TIIHE
QUARTERLY, XI, 269. After a personal examination of the ground, Dr.
Bolton has concluded that the site of the presidio was just west of the
present town of Douglas, on Thomas Creek.
'Vergara had come with Ram6n in 1716, and had been missionary at the
same mission when it was first founded. He had joined the present expe-
dition at San Antonio.
"Pefa, Derrotero, 17.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912, periodical, 1912; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101056/m1/52/: accessed April 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.