The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912 Page: 48
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas Historical Association Quarterly
(c) The Refounding of Mission San Joseph de los Nazonis.-
On the 9th Aguayo sent a lieutenant with an escort and Father
Benito Sanchez, to rebuild the church and priest's house at the
.Mission of San Joseph de los Nazonis, eight leagues northeast-
woird from Concepci6n.1 On the 13th, leaving the main part of
the force to rest at Concepci6n, Aguayo passed to the Nazonis, and
solemnly re-established the mission, leaving as missionary Benito
Sanchez2 of the College of Queretaro. This mission has been lo-
cated "some fifteen or more miles northeast of the Hanai (i. e.
Purisima Concepci6n) . . . by one of the southern tributaries
of Shawnee Creek, near the north line of Nacogdoches County."3
(d) The Refounding of the Presidio of Nuestra Seiiora de, los
Dolores.-Aguayo returned to Concepci6n on the 15th, and in-
stalled Juan Cortinas and his company of twenty-five soldiers in
the old presidio founded by Ram6n, in 1716. The presidio was
one league from the mission, which in turn was half a league
from the Angelina. It occupied an advantageous position on
a hill, overlooking the country, with the arroyo of Nuestra
Sefiora de la Assumpci6n (evidently the first eastern branch of
the Angelina) running at its base.' The fortifications were not
outlined until Aguayo's return from los Adaes. The fort was to
be square, with two bastions on diagonal corners, each to cover two
wings, which were to be sixty varas in length.' The diary gives
the impression that the company installed had formerly occupied
the presidio. The company may have been the same, but Cortinas
was evidently the captain at this time.
(e) The Refounding of the Mission of Nuestra Seora de
Guadalupe de Nacogdoches.-On the same day, the 15th, the ex-
1The Derrotero says it was eight miles to the north. Espinosa, who
founded it in 1716, says it was seven leagues northeast (Espinosa, Diario,
entziy for July 9).
"Benito Sanchez was the missionary left at San Joseph in 1716, when
it was first founded (Espinosa, Diario, entry for July 9). He was of the
party that retired in 1719, and was one of those who joined the Aguayo
expedition at the Rio Grande in 1720 (Derrotero, 3).
'Bolton, "Native Tribes about the East Texas Missions," in TmHE QUAR-
TERLY, XI, 263. Dr. Bolton, on personal investigation, confirmed this
opinion, and concluded further that the site of the mission was on Bill's
'Pefia, Derrotero, 17.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912, periodical, 1912; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101056/m1/53/: accessed September 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.