The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912 Page: 49
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Aguayo Expedition
pedition, took up the march for the next mission, at Nacogdoches.1
On the 18th the new church was dedicated. Father Margil,2 on
behalf of the College of Zacatecas, received possession, and Father
Joseph Rodriguez remained as missionary. Aguayo repeated the
presentation of the silver-headed cane to the chosen captain, en-
joined upon the Indians the formation of pueblos, distributed gifts
lavishly, and clothed one hundred and ninety Indians.8
(f) The Refounding of the Mission of Nuestra Seiora de los
Ais.4-On the 21st of August, after traveling three days through
lands of walnuts, pines, oaks, and glades, having had to bridge
several streams,5 the expedition camped one-fourth of a league be-
yond where the mission of Dolores had stood. The mission was
rebuilt here, beside a stream, and near a spring of water, where
the high and clear grounds and the surrounding plains offered in-
ducements for planting.'
The distance and direction from Nacogdoches, the topographical
evidence given by this and other diaries, tradition and present
ruins, all unite in locating this mission at modern San Augustine.
xThe Pefia Derrotero gives the direction for the two days of travel as
east-northeast and the distance from the presidio just left as eight leagues.
The statement as to the direction is evidently a slip, due to faulty printing
or carelessness on the part of the writer. Former diaries and later ones
agree with each other and with the fact that the direction was east-south-
east, and agree with the Derrotero that the distance was between eight and
nine leagues (See Ram6n, entry for July 8, 1716). Rivera says it was
east (Diario, entry for September 9, 1727).
2Father Margil had been the original founder of this mission in 1716.
It was the capital of the missions in Texas belonging to the College of
'Peila, Derrotero, 18. This mission has been located at the modern town
of Nacogdoches (Bolton, "Native Tribes about the East Texas Missions,"
in THE QUARTERLY, XI, 258).
'The Derrotero mentions this as Nuestra Sefiora de los Adaes. This is
a slip or a misprint.
5The Derrotero says the expedition traveled east-northeast from Nacog-
doches to reach the mission of Dolores. This is again a mistake; the sites
of the two missions are well established. Later diaries give the correct
direction (See Rivera, Diario, entry for September 10. 1727: La Fora.
Diario, entry for September 7. 1767). The two main streams crossed by
the expedition were the Amoladero and the Attoyac. In the Derrotero
the former is called Todos Santos, but the latter is given no name at all.
The first time we hear of the Attoyac by that name is in 1727 (Rivera,
Diario, entry for September 11). From that time on the name must have
been continuous, for La Fora (entry for September 14) and Solis (entry
for May 4, 1767) call it the Attoyac.
'Father Joseph de Albadadejo was left in charge.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912, periodical, 1912; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101056/m1/54/: accessed October 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.