The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912 Page: 52
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas Historical Association Quarterly
the truce between Spain and France. Thus, the Spanish writer
says, "was concluded the conquest and recovery of the province."
December 10, 1721, Bienville, having evidently just heard of the
Spanish reoccupation, entered a vigorous protest against it.
Aguayo had already rebuilt the mission and added the presidio at
los Adaes, and had been a month on his return march when this
letter was written,' so that, aside from its expressing Bienville's
sentiments, the letter was of no significance.
Aguayo delayed unusually long at this place, the cause doubtless
being to see that nothing was left undone which would insure per-
manency to the new hold on that critical and important point.
It was not till October 12 that the dedication of the new church
and the presidio of Nuestra Sefiora del Pilar was celebrated. The
latter was not completed until November 1. It was located one-
half league beyond where the mission had formerly stood, by a
spring or brook of water, on the side of a hill, where it could
command the surrounding country. It was a hexagon, with three
bastions, each covering two curtains, fifty varas in length. A hun-
dred soldiers, thirty of whom were to be always on guard, were
stationed at this presidio, and the only six pieces of cannon which
had been brought from Mexico were left there.2
Opposite, one-fourth of a league from the presidio with a creek
intervening, and also on a hill, was built the new mission of San
Miguel de los Adaes. Father Margil, president of the Zacatecan
missions, remained here in charge." This relative position of mis-
sion and presidio is shown by Le Page du Pratz ;4 the interven-
ing arroyo was probably the arroyo Hondo. The location of the
presidio and mission is described by the Derrotero to be on "the
camino real de Natchitoos," seven" leagues from the latter place,
and about a league from the lagoon of los Adaes (Spanish Lake).
As near as can be ascertained from distance and direction from
the other missions and from other evidence, the establishment was
near the present town of Robeline, Louisiana. A mission was
founded for a colony of Mexicans in the early part of last century,
'Margry, VI, 225.
2The name of the captain left in charge is not given. Thirty-one of the
soldiers left were accompanied by their families.
Viliplana, Vida del V. P. Fr. Antonio Margil de Jesus, 158.
'Le Page du Pratz, Histoire de la Louisiane, I, 1.
"The Derrotero says seventy leagues. Evidently a misprint for seven.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912, periodical, 1912; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101056/m1/57/: accessed November 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.