The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912 Page: 54
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Texas Historical Association Quarterly
that La Bahia, especially, be defended. In accordance with this
order, the viceroy instructed Aguayo to add fifty picked men to
those already at La Bahia. On November 29, the expedition
reached the presidio of Nuestra Sefiora de los Dolores, near Mis-
sion Concepci6n, and the commander outlined the fortifications.
December 9, near the Trinity, he met the second train of provisions
from La Bahia, and sent some back to los Adaes. Seeing that the
waters of the Trinity were down, and learning from his scouts
that the Brazos was fordable, he determined to cut across, seven-
teen leagues through the cross timbers, to the old camino real.
The withdrawal was slow and irregular, due to rain storms, cold
spells, and lack of pasture, which greatly increased the mortality
among the cattle. Most of the expedition was now on foot, even
the Marquis now and then traveling thus. Eighty "cargoes" of
provisions had to be left behind, with twenty soldiers to guard
them, other soldiers were sent ahead to San Antonio to bring back
provisions, while others were despatched to Saltillo to hasten the
forwarding of supplies, which would be needed if those from the
Finally, January 23, 1722, the expedition reached San Antonio.
No lives had been lost, but out of five thousand horses only fifty
returned, and of eight hundred mules only one hundred survived.
Word was immediately sent the viceroy, informing him of the re-
tirement of the expedition, and while here Aguayo received word
from the viceroy, thanking him for what he had done for the ad-
vancement of Spain's interests in Texas.
7. Further Activities at San Antonio.-It will be remembered
that Juan Rodriguez, the chief of the Rancheria Grande Indians,
and the guide of this expedition, with fifty of his tribe, had been
in San Antonio in February, 1720, petitioning the Spanish for a
mission for his people, that Aguayo had promised that on his
return from eastern Texas, he would comply with their wishes, and
that he renewed this promise when he met the rest of the tribe
just west of the Trinity on his way to the Texas.
(a) The Founding of the Mission San Francisco Xavier de
Ndjera.-Accordingly, after his return, March 10, 1722, he
founded for the fifty families still in San Antonio, the mission of
IPefia, Derrotero, 23.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912, periodical, 1912; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101056/m1/59/: accessed August 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.