The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912 Page: 59
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The AguaySo Expedition
ment made that Joutel's Journal agrees with the map.1 The mat-
ter may be considered definitely settled by Pefia's map, which
shows the site of the presidio on the exact spot of La Salle's fort,
on the west side of the River.2 As to the distance inland, Joutel
and De Le6n, the leader of the first Spanish expedition to Espiritu
Santo, are substantially agreed that the fort was from one and a
half to two leagues inland.
The commonly accepted view is that the fort was on the Lavaca
River. This, however, is not unquestioned. Winsor cites a Cap-
tain Clark, noted as a student of the cartography of New France,
as being of the opinion that the fort was situated on the Garcitas,
and not on the Lavaca. This opinion has been arrived at inde-
pendently by Mr. C'. C. Small, a student in the University of
Texas. The two strongest indications that the Garcitas was the
site, are (1) the French statement that it was on the smallest
stream in that vicinity, and (2) the statement of the De Le6n diary
that, after leaving the French fort, a party went north six leagues
and struck a large river which they called the San Marcos. This
river has been identified with the Colorado. But as this can not
be true, the distance given being too short, those in favor of the
Garcitas claim that the Lavaca would fulfil the conditions, if the
fort had been on the Garcitas. Still, there are many points in
favor of locating the site on the Lavaca River. Continuity of
name can not be unconditionally proposed, for the French always
called the river on which their fort was erected the ReviBre aux
Boeufs, the Spaniards in general call it the Rio De los Franceses,
while Pefia names it on the map the San Gabriel. Arguments in
favor of the location on the Lavaca are the following: (1) By
following Aguayo's diary as closely as possible, league by league,
from San Antonio, we arrive at the Lavaca about four or five
miles from its mouth. (2) The diary states that in the five
leagues before reaching a point three leagues northwest of the fort,
the route lay across two arroyos of considerable size, evidently the
'Bolton, "Notes on Clark's The Beginnings of Texas," in TIE QUAR-
TERLY, XII, 148. For the location according to the Journal, see Margry,
III, 209 and 213.
21t so happens that the map showing this presidio is the only one in
Pefia's collection which does not indicate direction. Judging from the
position of the natural features, represented on the map, and the fact that
the boat anchored in the stream is floating down the stream, we are justi-
fied in placing the presidio on the west side.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association, Volume 15, July 1911 - April, 1912, periodical, 1912; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101056/m1/64/: accessed May 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.