The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 16, July 1912 - April, 1913 Page: 11
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Spanish Occupation of Texas, 1519-1690
just come to light in the Mexican archives. In 1683, when a
delegation of Jumanos from the eastern plains visited the Spanish
refugees then at El Paso, the authorities declared in writing, as
evidence of the friendship of the tribe, that before 1680, when the
Pueblo revolt had occurred, trade and friendship had been main-
tained with the Jumanos "with such security that the Spaniards,
six, eight, and ten, went to their lands and villages every year to
trade with these Indians" in buckskins, teocas, and buffalo hides.'
We shall see that the Mendoza party in 1684 brought back nearly
five thousand buffalo skins. It was later asserted that some time
before this event, two Franciscan missionaries, inspired by the
Venerable Mother Maria de Agreda, had gone to the Texas and
baptized many of their number, "their very prince" being the first
to receive the faith." This allusion may have been to the visits
of Father Salas and his companions to the borders of the Texas.
early in the century, for no other record of a missionary visit to
these people before 1689 is known.
4. From the South, by way of Nuevo Ledn and Coahuila
While there had thus been definite progress eastward from New
Mexico during the first three-fourths of the seventeenth century,
and considerable contact between that province and what is now
the western half of Texas, from the south, the natural line of
advance from Mexico to Texas, progress was slow.
The outposts of northeastern New Spain.-In the sixteenth cen-
tury, nevertheless, northeastward expansion from the valley of
Mexico had been rapid. It has already been stated that as early
as 1522 Pinuco had been founded by Cortes himself, and that by
1528 two expeditions from that point had explored the coasts
north of the Rio Grande. For half a century Panuco remained
the northeasternmost outpost, but meanwhile progress. was more
rapid along the central Mexican plateau, where, following the line
x"Declaraci6n de los Yndios que vinieron &. esta Plassa de armas de San
Lorengo de la toma del rio del Norte," August 11, 1683. MS. Provincias
Internas, vol. 35, Expediente, 2, p. 60.
"Memorial de Fray Nicolis L6pez acerca de la repoblaci6n de Nuevo
MOjico," April 24, 1686, in Duro, Pefialosa, 67.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 16, July 1912 - April, 1913, periodical, 1913; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101058/m1/17/: accessed March 23, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.