The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 16, July 1912 - April, 1913 Page: 285
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Scotch, a man and a woman, who lived with them for two or
three years. Many were the hardships for a long time endured
by her mother and others who, like her, had been tenderly reared
and were now reduced to the hard necessities which life in Texas
at that period involved. At one time, as the Colorado river afforded
almost the only water supply, the women of Matagorda made its
banks their common laundry. Soiled clothing, tubs, etc., were
hauled in an ox-cart to the landing; as there were no washboards,
the clothes were soaked, well soaped and placed on a strong bench
called a "battle-board," designed for the purpose, and thoroughly
beaten with a heavy paddle. They were dried on the bushes.
In this primitive fashion were the women obliged to carry on one
of the most important branches of their household economy.
The first two-story house erected on the bay shore of Matagorda,
known as the Bluff, was built by I)ugald McFarlane, and was for
many years the home of himself and family. It was so tall that
it served as a kind of a landmark for the ships at sea, and the
sailors kept a lookout for "McFarlane's Castle," as they were wont
to call it. Colonel S. R. Fisher owned the only other house on
the Bluff in the early Colonial days.
Dugald McFarlane was a Royal Arch Mason of the thirty-third
degree. "By dispensation of the Grand Lodge" of South Carolina,
he was sent to Alabama to establish Masonic lodges. His daughter
has the Masonic chart issued to him by the Grand Lodge of South
Carolina. It is of vellum and is inscribed with the autographs
of the officers of the lodge. This chart was carried by its owner
throughout the Texas revolution, and it was twice captured by
the Mexicans, but each time was returned to its owner by order
of Santa Anna, who was himself a Mason. This valuable Masonic
chart possesses a double value to its owner from the fact that it
was filled in by her mother. Her father's great interest in Masonry
induced him to write a "History of Freemasonry," which is incom-
plete, but has been carefully preserved by her, together with other
records by his hand. His name occurs in Masonic records as
occupying such honorable positions as Grand Lecturer, and District
Deputy Grand Master of District No. 2, which was the district
of Matagorda. One of the early lodges at San Augustine bore
the name McFarlane No. 3.
Mrs. Theall is of the opinion that there was a lodge at San
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 16, July 1912 - April, 1913, periodical, 1913; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101058/m1/293/: accessed June 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.