The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 19, July 1915 - April, 1916 Page: 38
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Southwestern Historical Quarterly
General. News of the projected town spread rapidly, many peo-
ple were homeless, and they flocked thither, especially from Bra-
zoria and Harris Counties. In fact, it became a town of tents
and clapboards before the Allens had purchased the land.2 It
was located on an original grant from Mexico to John Austin,
dated July 20, 1824, and was inherited by his widow, Elizabeth E.
Austin, who became the wife of T. F. L. Parrott. "In August,
1836, Messrs. A. C. and J. K. Allen bought of Mrs. T. F. L. Par-
rott the south half of the lower of the two leagues granted to
John Austin, near the head of tide water on Buffalo Bayou. The
deed is dated August 26, 1836, the consideration expressed, five
thousand dollars. It declares, after the peculiar manner of the
deeds of that day, 'that the above price is the just value, and
should it be hereafter worth more, she makes a donation of the
excess to the purchases be it more or less.' It was recorded in
Harrisburg County record of deeds, November 8, 1837." The
deed on record from the Mexican Government to John Austin
(1824) mentions the occupancy of a part of the league by George
Robinson, another first settler, of whom little is known.
By the time the first congress of the Republic assembled at
Columbia, in October, 1836, the Alleis were prepared to offer
sufficient inducements to the government, not only to secure for
the new town the title of capital of the Republic, but also to make
it the county seat of Harrisburg, afterwards Harris, County.
The first map of Houston seems to have been made by G. and
T. H. Borden, and was used for advertising the new city. It was
announced in the Telegraph and Texas Register of November 19,
1836, that it could be seen in the Senate chamber at Columbia.
A lithograph copy of it, which was the property of Robert Wilson,
is made a part of this history, and the newspaper clipping at-
tached and forming a part of it shows that advertising methods
were, at that date, fully up to the present standard of the most
enterprising real estate agents.4
2See "Reminiscences of Mrs. Dilue Harris," THE QUARTERLY, IV, 182.
'Burke's Texas Almanama for 1879, p. 83.
'This advertisement formed a part of the first map of the city of Houston:
THE CITY OF HOUSTON.
"Situated at the head of navigation on the West bank of the Buffalo
Bayou, is now for the first time brought to public notice, because, until
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 19, July 1915 - April, 1916, periodical, 1916; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101067/m1/46/: accessed December 11, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.