The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 19, July 1915 - April, 1916 Page: 40
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Southwestern Historical Quarterly
The City of Houston was originally laid off entirely on the
South side of Buffalo Bayou, near its junction with White Oak.
As shown by the first map, a space averaging one hundred feet in
width along the Bayou bank was designated Water Street. The
streets running from Northwest to Southeast were as nearly par-
allel with the banks of the stream as its sinuous course would per-
mit, and were named respectively, Commerce, Franklin, Congress,
Preston and Prairie; bisecting streets were named Brazos, Smith,
Louisiana, Milam, Travis, Main, Fannin, San Jacinto, Carolina,
Austin and Lamar. These completed the limits of the City on
the date its projectors and owners obtained the votes of Congress
necessary to make it the temporary seat of government.
These first street names show that the city had its birth just
afte the struggle for independence, and that its founders were
neither unmindful of the sacrifice of life within the bounds of
Texas, nor of the noble spirits in the States, who, with counsel
and money aided the cause and contributed to its success. Their
names were household words. Every body knew that Senator W.
C. Preston of South Carolina was one of the best friends Texas
had, and it was fitting that not only his own name, but that of his
State, should be commemorated, in the capital of the Republic.
A later map bore the name of Alc6e La Branche, Charg6 d'
affaires from the United States. He was very popular, and the
street that had first been called Lamar was changed to La Branche,
and is so called today. As the influence of Lamar was thrown in
Government. It is handsome and beautifully elevated, salubrious and
well watered, and now in the very heart or center of population, and will
be so for a length of time to come. It combines two important advan-
tages: a communication with the coast and foreign countries, and with
the different portions of the Republic. As the country shall improve rail-
roads will become in use, and will be extended from this point to the
Brazos, and up the same, also from this up to the head waters of San
Jacinto, embracing that rich country, and in a few years the whole trade
of the upper Brazos will make its way into Galveston Bay through this
"Preparations are now making to erect a water Saw Mill, and a large
Public House for accommodation, will soon be opened. Steamboats now
run in this river, and will in a short time commence running regularly
to the Island. The proprietors offer the lots for sale on moderate terms
to those who desire to improve them, and invite the public to examine
"A. C. Allen for A. C. Allen and J. K. Allen."
"N. B. Since the above has been in press we have learned that Houston
has become the seat of Government."
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 19, July 1915 - April, 1916, periodical, 1916; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101067/m1/49/: accessed June 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.