The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 19, July 1915 - April, 1916 Page: 44
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Histories of the churches of Houston show that several con-
gregations of different denominations were formed in 1838. A
tablet on the inside of the front wall of Christ Church (Episco-
pal), corner of Texas Avenue and Fannin Street bears this let-
"In memory of the First Vestry of Christ Church, elected April
1, 1838. Wm. F. Gray. Senior Warden; E. S. Perkins, Junior
Warden; D. W. C. Harris, Clerk.
Geo. Allen, Memucan Hunt, Todd Robinson, John D. Andrews,
Charles Kessler, James Webb, John Birdsall, Wm. Pierpont, A.
While Chaplain of the Senate 1837-1838, Rev. Littleton Fowler
(Methodist) preached for the citizens, and obtained from A. C.
Allen a deed to half a block of ground on Texas Avenue, on which
was afterward built the first Methodist Church, called Shearn
Church, in honor of Charles Shearn, a prominent citizen and lead-
Rev. W. Y. Allen of the Presbyterian Church arrived at Hous-
ton on March 31, 1838, and bore an important part in building
up a Presbyterian congregation, and in organizing a Sunday School
and Bible Society. Newspaper records show that the Bible Society
had among its officers citizens occupying high positions in the
State and County.
The members of the Baptist Church held regular meetings, and
had advanced so far, on August 25, 1838, as to procure a bell,
which, it was announced, would ring at the proper time for as-
The Roman Catholics were ministered to by two Missionary
priests, Father Timon and Father Odin, who were sent out from
the Lazarus House of St. Louis, Missouri.
The religious services of the Protestant denominations were held
for several years, sometimes in the Senate chamber and often in
The first temperance society of which there is any record in
Texas was organized at the capitol on February 20, 1839. Speeches
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 19, July 1915 - April, 1916, periodical, 1916; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101067/m1/53/: accessed July 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.