The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 19, July 1915 - April, 1916 Page: 56
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Southwestern Historical Quarterly
a dozen residents. Nearly every large landholder on the bayou and
bay shore aspired to be the founder of a town. Among those were
Hamilton, on Buffalo Bayou, opposite Harrisburg, which was soon
merged into the latter place. Buffalo, near the mouth of Vince's
Bayou, which was also short lived; Louisville, a few miles below
Lynchburg, failing to become a town, was known as Scott's Place.
New Washington soon took the name of its founder Colonel James
Morgan, and is today Morgan's Point, San Leon was located at
Edward's Point. None of these developed as their founders an-
ticipated, but the two last named have in recent times become
favorite summer resorts. San Jacinto was laid off on the San
Jacinto River opposite Lynchburg, and for many years these two
places were rivals in the business of boat building, most of the
sailing craft and row boats being built there, and the steam boats
were overhauled, repaired and repainted by their town workmen.
But for the disastrous storms which submerged and destroyed their
improvements at different times, they would be of great impor-
Houston attained its position as a regularly incorporated town
in 1837, and neglected no opportunity to assert and maintain its
rightful claim to be a leading town. Unfortunately the original
records of the city administration were destroyed by fires which
consumed the market house and city hall. The files of two news-
papers, The Telegraph and Texas Register from 1838 to 1856 (in-
complete) and The Morning Star, April 8, 1838, to October 26,
1844, together with a book representing much valuable research,
called A Historical Review of Southeast Texas by Hardy and
Roberts, have been called into service for a compilation of the list
of City officials.'8
It seems that both Houston and Harrisburg were included in
an act of Congress of June 5, 1837, incorporating the town of
Nacogdoches."" That the citizens of Houston speedily held the
necessary meeting for availing themselves of the powers therein
granted is evident from the following item: "On June 22, fol-
IsArticles in the Houston Post, June 25, 1901, contain reprints from the
Daily Telegraph of July 9, 1876, recording the fire of the preceding day,
and an account of the second fire which occurred June 24, 1901.
"Laws of the Republic of Texas, October 25, 1836, to June 12, 1837,
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 19, July 1915 - April, 1916, periodical, 1916; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101067/m1/65/: accessed October 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.