The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 19, July 1915 - April, 1916 Page: 62
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Southwestern Historical Quarterly
Houston passed the first year or two, after the beginning of the
war between the States. In this quiet retreat, surrounded by his
family, but saddened by the failures of his efforts to prevent the
severing of the tie which bound Texas to the Union, he witnessed
the organization of military companies, and the enlistment of his
eldest son, under the command of his friend and neighbor, Dr.
Ashbel Smith. His life was drawing to its close, when the family
returned to their old home at Huntsville.
Colonel James Morgan's home at New Washington, or Morgan's
Point, was well improved as early as 1836. His orange groves
were laden with ripe fruit in the fall of that year, and the even-
ing meal of his family and guests was sometimes spread under
General Sidney Sherman chose Crescent Place, which took its
name from a curve of the shore on San Jacinto Bay, and thither
he came with his bride within a year or two after the conclusion
of the war of 1836. An incident, connecting their private lives
very closely with the history of Texas, seems appropriate in this
place. When General Sherman, then Captain of a troop of cav-
alry, was ready to march from Kentucky to help the Texans fight
their battle for liberty, a grand reception was given them at New-
port, Kentucky. Ladies fair and patriots generous and chivalrous
attended this last meeting with the gallant volunteers. A beauti-
ful silk flag was to be presented to the company, and it was agreed
that the lady to make the presentation should be no other than
Miss Isabella Cox, the bride of Sidney Sherman. This banner,
with a goddess of liberty painted on its white field, and bordered
with gold fringe, was the only flag known to have been used on
the battle field of San Jacinto; and after the battle it was sent by
the secretary of state of the Republic of Texas to Mrs. Sherman.
Its frayed remains now rest in a glass-covered case in the State
Library at Austin.
Francis R. Lubbock, who served the public almost from the
time he set foot on the shore of Texas up to the last days of his
ninety-odd years, was one of the first residents of the city of
Houston. A few years later, he owned and cultivated a farm
and raised cattle on Sims' Bayou, about seven miles from Hous-
ton, riding back and forth almost every day, while holding the
office of district clerk. His later distinguished position as gov-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 19, July 1915 - April, 1916, periodical, 1916; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101067/m1/71/: accessed May 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas State Historical Association.